Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer wants a refund for shoes she’s worn and broken

(66 Posts)
deathb4decaf Sat 25-Nov-17 10:13:11

I sold a brand new pair of shoes, got positive feedback from the buyer. Had a message last night saying she was fuming and wanted a refund because the heel snapped after getting out of a taxi. I don’t offer refunds but the buyer has requested one through eBay. I’m not sure where I stand and searching on eBay I’m still confused confused can anyone help?

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:17:08

Hi, you're not obligated to refund. Make sure you move your money straight away from your eBay account if you haven't already. The shoes broke under her care and she received them in the condition you described. Also anybody could say their items have broken and tell lies to get money back. This is unfortunate but not you're fault. When you buy on eBay with no returns you are automatically agreeing to the risks that go with it. Even shops can be funny about taking worn shoes back. For example I had a problem with some shoes from new look and they wouldn't take them back as had been worn once despite faulty manufacturing and I had to argue my case with the manger and eventually they did it as good will gesture.
The buyer can go to a blacksmiths and her her shoes reheeles/fixed as it's not up to you to be out of pocket.

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:17:57

get*

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:18:08

d*

Violletta Sat 25-Nov-17 11:19:26

When you buy on eBay with no returns you are automatically agreeing to the risks that go with it. Even shops can be funny about taking worn shoes back. For example I had a problem with some shoes from new look and they wouldn't take them back as had been worn once despite faulty manufacturing and I had to argue my case with the manger and eventually they did it as good will gesture.

well that's completely wrong, if the shoes are faulty due to a manufacturing fault the shop has to give you a refund (provided it's with a reasonable time)

Violletta Sat 25-Nov-17 11:20:42

if they are faulty and not fit for purpose then she should return and op should return to where she got them

the heel broke, that's not fit for purpose

RoganJosh Sat 25-Nov-17 11:24:30

I’m not sure about some of that advice. If you move your money from your PayPal account then if the buyer raises an issue and finds in your favour they will take it from your bank account that is linked to your PayPal account.

No refunds does not protect you if the buyer says they item is faulty. Not saying they are, particularly. I think it’s a tricky one. As a buyer I’d be upset if a pair of shoes broke straight away. At the same time you sold them in good faith.
Do you think they’re trying it on? If so you could ask for a photo of them and then you suggest you’ll refund if they send them back? You’ll need to read up on who pays for the return postage though.

Aridane Sat 25-Nov-17 11:25:00

So does that mean if I buy what turn out to be faulty goods, I lose my consumer rights because I buy them from eBay? Genuine question

RoganJosh Sat 25-Nov-17 11:25:13

My comments were in response to Bella8

Taylor22 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:27:13

It doesn't matter if a seller puts 'no returns' they are bound by EBays rules which do allow for returns if the product is faulty, not fit for purpose or not as described.

You do not have to refund. But she can open a dispute.

And EBay tend to side with the buyer.

chipsandpeas Sat 25-Nov-17 11:28:31

o does that mean if I buy what turn out to be faulty goods, I lose my consumer rights because I buy them from eBay? Genuine question
generally if you buy from a business seller then you have the same right, a private seller is a bit more grey, they dont have to offer the same rights, however if a case if raised against a seller prob for not as described then ebay will favour the buyer and have the seller refund

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:29:11

Violletta Tell that no new look! I had a full fledged argument with the store manager with queue of people behind me while I 'quoted' my rights....I'm sure I was their favourite customer that day shock

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:29:18

to*

HeavenlyEyes Sat 25-Nov-17 11:30:22

No you do not lose your rights at all. Saying you do not accept returns is rubbish and as you will find - buyer has opened a case and will get a refund whether or not you agree to it. If you want neg feedback and a mark against your account then dig your (broken) heels in, literally - but the best advice is to tell her to return for a refund and just accept it and refund in full. And a label to return - that will be at your cost too.

And moving money out of PayPal is wrong advice - they will just put you in debit balance and then pursue you for the amount owing - so sorry but please ignore that poster.

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:31:59

'I’m not sure about some of that advice. If you move your money from your PayPal account then if the buyer raises an issue and finds in your favour they will take it from your bank account that is linked to your PayPal account.'

This happened to a friend of mine and this did not take place so I'm not sure on that information... by law their not allowed to debit your bank they can freeze any money i your Paypal account though or debit jay so you're in the minus...

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:32:07

that*

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:33:47

OP the item you sold was for for purpose and you have proof of that in your original buyer review so they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. What happens to a product in somebody else's care is not your concern we had a similarly case with somebody and it went in our favour so try not to worry..

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:33:56

fit*

BWatchWatcher Sat 25-Nov-17 11:34:43

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-if-something-you-bought-on-ebay-is-faulty
I'm not sure you have to refund if you're a private seller and described the item adequately.

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:36:29

You don't I agree. You're not responsible for an item if you can prove it left your care and arrived safety with the buyer in the condition you described. OP you can prove that so they can't do anything grin

HeavenlyEyes Sat 25-Nov-17 11:39:48

Buyer leaving feedback means absolutely nothing and is completely disregarded in a not as described case. You cannot prove they were not faulty - and sadly if the buyer is lying then they will still get a refund.

Bella you say you are not sure and then claim you are right. Are you an eBay experienced seller or a legal expert?

oreosoreosoreos Sat 25-Nov-17 11:40:34

I have always had much more success by calling eBay (and asking politely to escalate to a supervisor if you only get their standard script response).

The fact that they are as described and the buyer has already left positive feedback means that she has damaged them in her care, therefore you should not be required to refund her.

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:45:36

'Buyer leaving feedback means absolutely nothing and is completely disregarded in a not as described case. You cannot prove they were not faulty - and sadly if the buyer is lying then they will still get a refund.

Bella you say you are not sure and then claim you are right. Are you an eBay experienced seller or a legal expert?'

Firstly I have not once claimed I wasn't sure? Think you're confusing me with another pp. secondly I have experiences this first hand as it an eBay seller and buyer. The case went in my favour as I could prove the item left my care 'as describes' and they did take into consideration buyer feedback. Therefore your advice is incorrect.

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:46:06

d* both*

Bella8 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:47:36

I agree with oreosoreosoreos

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now