Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buy it now or 'best offer'....WTF is going on with this seller?

(15 Posts)
jeremycorbynsvest Tue 14-Nov-17 15:29:35

Sanity check needed:

Item on sale for £30 - buy it now or best offer

Offered £23 - rejected
Offered £26 - also rejected
Offered £29 - awaiting decision.... (fully expect it will be declined) grin

I find this most odd - WTF would you bother listing an item with 'make offer' if you are not (apparently willing) to accept what seems a reasonable offer?

When I am selling in this format, I usually accept anything around the 75% mark. Maybe I am just too generous with offer acceptance.....?

Ho hum... as you were.

BaronessBomburst Tue 14-Nov-17 15:34:40

No comment on your bonkers seller but I would like to offer a listing that keeps popping up for an 'emerald red' jumper. Never gets any takers.

jeremycorbynsvest Tue 14-Nov-17 15:36:55

LOVL at that description grin

Mind you, sometimes a seller's incompetence works in your favour, i picked up some nice boots in the nightwear category once...

Glad you also think my seller is bonkers. I mean; WHY, just why?

jeremycorbynsvest Tue 14-Nov-17 15:43:00

********** UPDATE ************

As predicted my idiot seller has declined my offer of £29.

********* WTAF WTAF WTAF WTAF **************

confused

SistersOfPercy Tue 14-Nov-17 15:43:12

I came across one with a Best Offer on it the other night. In big letters in the auction the seller had written 'No Offers'.
Baffling.

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Tue 14-Nov-17 15:45:17

Apparently it’s a glitch and people dont mean it to be on there. But they could at least message and say so or counter offer, some p are just rude.

Lunenburg Tue 14-Nov-17 15:47:35

If it is a 'Buy it Now' rather than an Auction, I think it might be due to a change in the Ebay listing App.

I only ever use 'Buy it Now' and now I am no longer able to disable 'Make Offer'.

As I have always listed at the minimum I would accept in order to get lots of watches, I don't really want to accept an offer.

The change in the App means I am having to add extra to my listing price just so I can accept an offer. 20% is the maximum I will discount.

jeremycorbynsvest Tue 14-Nov-17 15:50:06

Hmm, well a change in the app would explain the apparent madness - but they could at least have replied after the first offer to clarify that it's a glitch and they were not accepting offers.

Heymrstinkypants Tue 14-Nov-17 15:53:26

It is annoying, saw an item I liked the other day
Price £8.99 or best offer
I offered £7
Seller declined offer

2 days later, price reduced to £7 or best offer!!!
Wtf they just turned down £7
I’m not buying it now, can’t be bothered

jeremycorbynsvest Tue 14-Nov-17 15:55:04

HeyMrs - I guess some people are just greedy.

I bet your seller will be obliged to reduce again and then end up getting about £4.

Heymrstinkypants Tue 14-Nov-17 15:57:07

I feel like offering them £6 now 😂

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 14-Nov-17 16:00:44

I just had an item on starting £40 with BIN of £80.
Man placed a bid, so the BIN disappeared, and then sent me a message asking if I’d do a BIN for £120.confused

BaronessBomburst Tue 14-Nov-17 16:03:11

I hope you said yes! 😂

19lottie82 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:05:47

I think ebay sometimes sets a “best offer” feature automatically on listings, so some sellers don’t even realise it’s there hence refusing all offers.

chloesmumtoo Wed 15-Nov-17 12:11:04

jeremycorbynsvest see my old thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/ebay/3009615-Selling-has-ebay-made-some-changes-recently
Ebay has made the best offer go on all buy it nows despite whether sellers want it or not and there is no way off turning it off. Other than selling with the advance listing tool which is not really for the casual seller.
It has really annoyed me as someone who wants to just clear out the odd cheap bits at my best set price. It has taken that away really and makes things a right hassle and cheeses buyers off (I knew it would). To me by the time 13.4 % + 20p comes off the product and postage cost it really discourages selling esp now with your set price being under fire too. Only way is to knock the price up which then seems less competitive only to bring it down for a best offer. Really stupid. Sellers probably want their asking price rather than messing around and have set auto accept on asking price only. All Ebays fault I'm afraid

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: