Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Reported fraudulent items for sale this morning...

(24 Posts)
QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 16:27:16

... but ebay hasn't removed them. How long does it take?

These are the two listings that are surely fraudulent:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Deere-2653a-Gang-Finishing-Mower-Ride-On-Lawn-Mower/253256906620
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubota-BX-2200-Diesel-Compact-Tractor/282732176376

Note the second picture, with the link to take the transaction off ebay.

How long does ebay take to remove them? Do they remove them?

Lewwat Mon 13-Nov-17 16:29:31

I'm confused, why do you think they are fraudulent?

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 16:31:35

They are both from different sellers, but have the same photo for the second picture. The photo has the ebay protection sign and says
"This is a quick sale so hit me with offers" and has an email address to contact them directly.
In other words, it's a scam.

TrojansAreSmegheads Mon 13-Nov-17 16:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrojansAreSmegheads Mon 13-Nov-17 16:32:36

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 16:32:56

They aren't selling tractors. The aim is for you to contact them directly, then they scam you out of the money. You think you're getting a tractor. smile but obviously you get nothing.

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 16:34:01

These are only 24-hour listings. ebay really needs to act quickly to stop people getting scammed.

I just wondered how long they take to act.

TrojansAreSmegheads Mon 13-Nov-17 16:35:06

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 16:38:05

Really it's a bit sad that a company as profitable as ebay takes a few hours. sad I guess it's not their priority.

I wonder if they are checked manually, or if it's all done automatically.

Confuzzlediddled Mon 13-Nov-17 16:41:12

I reported a fraudulent listing last week - as if someone has 10+ 65" brand new tv's for £85 a pop! It was gone within an hour.

TrojansAreSmegheads Mon 13-Nov-17 16:43:54

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 16:47:55

I bet they get loads, too. But they make oodles of dosh, so they should be using some of that so there's not a backlog.

I hope they've not blacklisted me. smile I reported three this morning - almost identical, with the same second photo. The first one I reported at around 9am, and they removed it almost immediately.

Then the person relisted these two at around 11.30ish. I reported almost immediately, and they're still there! Worse, someone's now bid on one, so I really hope they don't send any money.

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 16:50:34

Ah, the Kubota's just been zapped. Phew!

I know it's all pretty pointless, because the scammers'll probably put up another hundred listings... But an older retired relative has just been scammed in this way, and I'm really cross, so I had a hunt this morning to report any I could see, and have been really disappointed in how slow it is.

19lottie82 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:03:37

eBay won’t remove a listing based on one persons suggestion that it’s fraudulant.

19lottie82 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:04:05

I know you’re most likely right but you can’t prove this is the case, it’s just a suspicion.

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 17:10:33

Well, they do remove them, as it's against ebay rules to take customers away from the protection of trading through ebay.

They've removed two so far. I'm just waiting for the third. But it's just so slow, giving a chance for someone to be conned.

19lottie82 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:14:51

The removal won’t be solely down to your complaint.

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 17:17:14

Surely the removal is due to someone complaining, and ebay looking and seeing that what the complainant says is true? You only have to see the ad to see it's fraudulent. But sadly people are still conned.

QuiteUnfitBit Mon 13-Nov-17 17:19:19

Oh, and I see the third one has been removed now. So I hope the bidder (or any non-bidders) hasn't contacted them offline.

LapdanceShoeshine Sun 19-Nov-17 00:46:04

I bought some "genuine Apple iphone charging cables" this week - price was ridiculous (£2.99 for 3 but hey, it said genuine!). they arrived very promptly but clearly aren't genuine - very cheap materials, & wire coating is the wrong colour.

I requested a return "not as described" at about 6pm Friday & by 10pm Friday the item had been removed by ebay.

Today I've had an email from seller claiming that they are "Apple mfi certified cables" & asking if I've had any problems but I'm not even going to try them!

GoulishGoblinPumpkinSnatcher Sun 19-Nov-17 01:12:02

Why would you even want to buy 'apparently' 3 genuine iPhone cables for that price? Going form the price it's obvious they aren't genuine! When a genuine one starts from around £15.00 in the Apple Store.
Some things are just too good to be true and the reason is mainly because it is too good to be true! Stick to the genuine ones. The fakes are so dangerous. You can't put a price on safety & life. I'll stick to paying a little more knowing that it's genuine.

GoulishGoblinPumpkinSnatcher Sun 19-Nov-17 01:22:20

OP i believe what you saying to be true actually. There was a documentary on it not so long ago called eBay scammers on ITV. They list vehicles etc, things that can't be posted and get you to do the transaction out of eBay, but you think your sending it within eBay due to the good spoof emails they send. The day arrives for drop off of item/or collection and you never get it. You can't claim your money back either from the bank. It's awful. But its happening more & more. See if you can watch it on catch or or something

GoulishGoblinPumpkinSnatcher Sun 19-Nov-17 01:22:49

Catch up** I mean

QuiteUnfitBit Sun 19-Nov-17 15:00:05

Yes, I'll have a look re the programme.

Since Monday, I've been following this particular scammer. Every day, they put up three or four ads under the ride-on mower section, each one under a different account, presumably hacked. sad Every day I've been reporting them, and every day it takes two or three hours to be removed.

Sometimes, they get bids, so this gives the scammer plenty of time to contact the bidders.

The two on at the moment today are:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubota-GR2100-Mk2-ride-on-mower/322891866377
and
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubota-G23-Diesel-Ride-mower-Year-2011-only-1444-hours/172988435594

As they always use the same second picture, with their contact details, you would think ebay could automatically remove the listings.

When they are removed, it doesn't replace the ad with a message warning that it's a scam, just that the item is no longer there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: