Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

eBay problem - what to do? Seller says bag handle is a strap!

(30 Posts)
ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Mon 13-Nov-17 09:56:41

CONDITION
(Outside)
overall : small scratch(es) / slightly dirty / slightly losing color
sole : slightly worn on corner
strap(s) : torn and needs repairing
main opening : slightly worn on corner
(Inside)
overall : slightly dirty

---

OK so I purchased an item item (because I'm so impulsive) and I reminded the seller to send the torn strap. This particular bag comes with a long crossbody strap.

Seller goes, "there is no strap."

I copied and pasted the condition stating that the strap is torn.

Seller goes, "we were referring to the strap attached to the bag."

Told the seller, that's called a handle. And the handle of the bag in the pictures in the listing is perfectly fine.

I also showed them another bag they have listed which describes the condition of the handle.

Now waiting for the seller's response.

I really should not have been impulsive. :/

What would you do?

Here are the pictures of the bag in the listing. Do you see any torn handle here?

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Mon 13-Nov-17 09:58:25

sideview picture

Redken24 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:59:13

Pictures ain't too good. Just ask them to refund payment if it's not matching condition.

Alittlepotofrosie Mon 13-Nov-17 10:00:41

If they haven't got it they haven't got it. Why would they lie about not having the strap?

Redken24 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:00:44

Handle doesn't appear torn.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Mon 13-Nov-17 10:03:17

I'm ok with a torn strap or a missing strap. I am not ok with a torn handle. The pictures don't show torn handle does it?

keepingbees Mon 13-Nov-17 10:25:48

Are you sure those are pictures of the actual bag and not just stock photos?

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Mon 13-Nov-17 10:33:56

keepingbees

I am not sure now. But in their other auctions (same bag), they have different pictures.

MissWimpyDimple Mon 13-Nov-17 10:42:00

No the handle (which to be fair I think could be described as a strap in this case) is definitely not torn!

Have you received the item? I would not have expected the pictured item to come with anything other than what is in the picture.

eBay will likely find in your favour if you complain (bitter experience as seller!)

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Mon 13-Nov-17 10:47:07

MissWimpyDimple

Yes, but I checked their other listings and they described the handle as "handle".

I only inquired about the strap because the condition says "torn strap" and since the pictures don't show torn handles, I assumed the torn strap is the crossbody strap the bag comes with originally.

Also, in their first message, they said there is no strap.

I have not received the item. I'd be fine with the item coming as pictured and without a strap - but not torn handles! Because the seller is now saying the "torn strap" is actually a torn handle which is definitely not shown in the pictures. I'd expect to receive the exact same bag as in the picture.

keepingbees Mon 13-Nov-17 12:03:17

Hmm I would ask them to send you a photo of the torn strap. The pictures make up part of the description in my opinion so if it’s anything significant it should have been in the photos.
It’s a misunderstanding at the end of the day, and if it turns out the handle is torn and no good I would ask them to cancel the purchase based on the fact hey weren’t clear about the condition.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Mon 13-Nov-17 12:14:39

keepingbees

Yeah, I asked them to send me a pic of the torn handle but the seller did not reply. The particular model comes with a crossbody strap, so I assumed since the handle looks perfectly fine, they were referring to the strap that's not in the listing. When I purchased the item, I put a note in stating that they should send me a picture of the "torn strap".

They replied that they can't send a picture and that "there is no strap".

And when I asked them why in the condition, a strap is listed, they said that's the one attached. However the pictures do not show any tear in the handle.

This is part of the listing:

"In order to avoid unnecessary returns, please read the product description and check the photos carefully, especially regarding the size and conditions."

keepingbees Mon 13-Nov-17 13:28:29

I would have thought the same as you re the strap to be honest. I also can’t see any obvious damage to the handle in the photos. Bit of a strange one.
I would probably message them again and say you really want to see a picture of the damage before they post it out, to avoid ‘unnecessary returns’ as the listing wasn’t clear and they haven’t clearly shown any tears in the strap/handle.
If they’ve posted it out already then I guess you’ll just have to see what turns up and open an item not as described case if it’s not as pictured.

keepingbees Mon 13-Nov-17 13:30:03

And if it came with a long strap originally they should really have stated in the listing if it was missing

19lottie82 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:05:45

If they don’t have it then just open a not as described case and return it for a refund. Nothing else you can do here.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Tue 14-Nov-17 02:01:44

This is the reply:

The person who checks the item chooses whether it's a handbag or a shoulder bag by looking at the handle (shoulder strap) drop.
If there was a misunderstanding, we will tell the department in charge about this.

For this item, the strap is meant the handles, so there are damages on the handles.
If there is a detachable shoulder strap, we always refer them as "Accessories".
Because there are no statements regarding the strap in that section, this doesn't come with one as stated in the previous email.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Tue 14-Nov-17 02:02:27

I replied that I want to see a picture of the real bag with the torn handle because the bag in the ad has perfectly fine handle.

Waiting.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Tue 14-Nov-17 02:17:58

I think I found where the tear is - it's not in the handle either. It's the hardware where one of the ends of the crossbody strap is to be connected.

keepingbees Tue 14-Nov-17 14:11:38

I would await the picture from them, I still can’t see a tear. They’ve not exactly been clear on it whatever it is confused

19lottie82 Tue 14-Nov-17 16:25:01

What do you want to happen here OP?

Theresnonamesleft Tue 14-Nov-17 16:33:34

misses the point entirely.
But why would you want to buy a bag that’s torn and dirty?

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Tue 14-Nov-17 16:39:00

Is it just me that thinks that the bag is missing an entire handle??
With just one it looks wonky

silkpyjamasallday Tue 14-Nov-17 17:24:47

The pictures don't show the back of the handle where it is joined, I reckon that a probably where it has torn, or the stitching has unravelled.

why12345 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:01:12

Specialagent that’s what I was thinking. It looks like once it’s unzipped everything will fall out.

CotswoldStrife Tue 14-Nov-17 19:16:13

No, if you look at the bag it has an extra metal loop on the right hand side (looking from the back) which is where the cross body strap would attach to - but as the OP has noticed herself, there isn't a metal loop on the left hand side so the long strap can't be attached.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now