Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Best way to broach overcharging for postage

(10 Posts)
Spanneroo Tue 31-Oct-17 20:38:33

I have bought multiple items from the same eBay buyer. They agreed they'd combine postage for said items ahead of time.

It's 3 toddler sized clothing items and I'm 100% sure that combined they'd still fit within the 'small parcel' category. For second class (as described) this is £2.90. In the original add, each item had postage costs of £3. I was expecting the invoice to come through for a combined postage charge of £3 but the seller is asking for £6.

This is my first experience of cheeky fuckery on eBay (I'm aware I've been lucky). Hoping for some advice on the best way to broach this with the seller without it being likely to backfire and result in a poor buyers rating for me. Appreciate I probably should have confirmed the figure before bidding though. More fool me for thinking the seller would be reasonable I suppose.

lljkk Tue 31-Oct-17 22:31:48

Polite & factual. Touch of friendliness. Remind them that they agreed to combine postage & say you think it would all fit in one package so just the £3 charge should do it.

I think They get charged 10% based on the amount you pay, so a revised invoice for £3 postage shouldn't leave them paying fees on £6 postage.

venys Sun 05-Nov-17 19:49:05

If it's signed for 2nd class it's £3.90 royal mail. Plus 10% that eBay charge on top of p&p so I think £4.50 is reasonable for a small parcel. £3.50 if you want to take the risk of not signed for.

GoulishGoblinPumpkinSnatcher Sun 05-Nov-17 22:41:21

eBay don't charge 10% final value fee on sale price AND another 10% on postage price? Do they? 🤔

19lottie82 Mon 06-Nov-17 07:37:30

Yes they do, have done for quite a while (years) now. I think it’s to stop people charging low prices but huge postage fees to try and get round ebay fees, as well as them being greedy, obviously.

GoulishGoblinPumpkinSnatcher Mon 06-Nov-17 11:53:54

How did I not know this?! So it's 20% they take then? 10% sale price excluding postage then 10% p&p.
Can I give you an example Lottie? I sell something for £10 with £2.95 post. They will charge £1 - then 30p (for postage) It can't be 20%. I think I'm confusing myself here. How I've worded the above is always how I've worked out my fees. (Excluding paypal fees- I'm just talking ebay fees) I always work out sale price + postage - then I minus just 10%. If I sell with free postage I just take 10% off whatever it sold for. It's just that when we think of it as 10% sale price then 10% p&p it can seem like 20%. Oh maths was never my strong point! grin

GoulishGoblinPumpkinSnatcher Mon 06-Nov-17 11:58:20

I realise I've been completely stupid in my reply... 10% would be the same when combing sale price + p&p as to working out sale price and postage separately!
Monday morning laughs! 😂😱 dumb alert! Oh my.

Spanneroo Mon 06-Nov-17 22:06:24

Thanks for the replies. I've messaged the seller (twice now) but getting no response.

I'm hoping something has distracted them in their personal life but I am concerned they're going to try to open a claim or something for me not paying. Is anyone able to shed any light on how long they'd have to wait to do that and if I'd have a leg to stand on?

19lottie82 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:46:54

If they open a case for non payment and you don’t pay then you don’t have a fall back because they haven’t combined postage. You will still get a default on your account.

19lottie82 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:48:09

Goulish Yes you got it right in your last post smile I assume it’s partly to stop sellers charging extremely high postage costs against low sale prices to cut down fees.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: