Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Winning bidder has paid via PayPal despite my stating cash on collection. What would you do?

(10 Posts)
amistillsexy Mon 30-Oct-17 23:00:55

Everyone was so helpful to me earlier today, and now I've got another dilemma that I'd love your help with.
I've sold an item. Which will be collected and I stated cash on collection. I had messaged them straight away to try and arrange a time for them to collect, but they paid by Pay Pal before replying.
They've just replied to my message to say they need to talk to the person they have bought it for to see when they can collect.
Any thoughts on what to do? Can I ask them to recall the payment and bring cash? Is it worth the fuss? My other idea is to keep the PayPal payment but get them to sign when they collect.
Any thoughts on this one?

LineysRun Mon 30-Oct-17 23:03:23

Don't touch it with a barge pole. Cancel the transaction, and refund as necessary.

LimpidPools Mon 30-Oct-17 23:04:41

You cannot accept the PayPal payment and let them take the item.

They will be able to get a refund if they apply for one through PayPal. A signature will make absolutely no difference.

yoyoyoyoyo Mon 30-Oct-17 23:05:52

Reverse the transaction and insist on cash.

Don’t agree to anything else.

19lottie82 Mon 30-Oct-17 23:29:01

You have been advised correctly above, refund the PayPal payment and tell them cash upon collection.

amistillsexy Mon 30-Oct-17 23:29:24

Thanks all. That's what I thought. What a pain.
Why can't people just read the listing and move on if it's not for them!
So, how do I go about reversing the transaction, then? Do I need to contact PayPal to do that?
(Wishing I'd just chucked the lot in the charity shop now!)

19lottie82 Tue 31-Oct-17 00:05:58

Just login to PayPal and find the transaction and there will be a “refund” button next to it.

amistillsexy Tue 31-Oct-17 08:45:17

Thanks lottie I'll take a look this morning.

TattyCat Thu 09-Nov-17 08:15:38

I get this a lot on Ebay - it drives me nuts. No-one ever seems to read the listing, or chooses to ignore and pay with Paypal anyway, it's infuriating.

If I can afford to 'lose' the amount (say, £5) then I don't bother refunding and just let it go because most people are ok, just don't read things properly, but for high value items (a recent one was £100) I will always refund to be on the safe side.

MaudAndOtherPoems Thu 09-Nov-17 09:17:15

Admittedly, I'm more of a buyer than a seller, but I don't understand the issue here (I know it's been mentioned on MN before). On the balance of probabilities, it's more likely to be a mistake (buyer responding to the screaming messages from eBay about "You won!!! Pay now!!!") than a scam. Whether I refunded would depend on the value of the transaction.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: