Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Bought a Fake bag from eBay

(17 Posts)
ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Sat 28-Oct-17 23:16:11

and the seller said she bought it from someone else from eBay as well.

Seller seems nice, but said she can't send a return postage since she lives in Canada.

What do I do? Do I pay the return shipping?

I'm wary because this has happened to me in the past, and while the seller refunded my payment, I was out of the international shipping fee. eBay said I should not have sent the item back without the return postage. I even had a message from eBay that said buyer will refund the return shipping fee. But apparently, according to eBay, since the buyer did not explicitly say that they will refund the return shipping, they could not deduct the money from the seller's eBay account. Even if it was eBay who told me the seller will refund the shipping fee! I told eBay the communication problem was between them and the seller. This was two years ago.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Sat 28-Oct-17 23:19:40

Oh and the bag was a Tumi backpack. I didn't even know there are fake Tumis! However, when it arrived, I could not believe how shoddy and fake and low quality it looks. I knew it was 100% fake, but I did show it to the Tumi store here who confirmed. It looked like one of those bags from China being sold on eBay for $10.

Seller said she spent $40 to send it to me. I paid $20 for the original shipping. I don't understand her point, tbh. But she seems actually nice and apologetic but said she will talk to eBay.

I'm just thinking her original transaction with the seller shouldn't be my concern?

MiniMum97 Sat 28-Oct-17 23:29:53

Can you not claim your money back through PayPal buyer protection?

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 28-Oct-17 23:30:57

2 years ago??

MagdalenLaundry Sat 28-Oct-17 23:31:17

Just open a not as described case
eBay will either give you postage or make her pay the return postage

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 28-Oct-17 23:31:22

Sorry, missed a middle bit!!

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Sat 28-Oct-17 23:31:29

Can you not claim your money back through PayPal buyer protection?

Paypal directed me to eBay. I think if it's beyond the eBay cutoff then Paypal takes care of it.

I really don't want to pay for the shipping fee because of what happened in the past with eBay. :/

LadyB49 Sat 28-Oct-17 23:37:47

Go via eBay Resolution. Open a case.
Recently I had a seller taking a Not as Described item back but refusing to cover the return postage. So I opened a case via eBay. After the allotted period eBay found in my favour, told me to return item, and they sent me a return label. I got my money back and assume that eBay took the money from her PayPal account. I didn't pay it.

Don't know about the two years though. There might be a time limit.

LilQueenie Sat 28-Oct-17 23:38:50

go to ebay live chat and discuss with them. Fake are usually handled differently from other returns ie not being sent back to the seller.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Sat 28-Oct-17 23:40:30

No, the example I mentioned was two years ago.

This one is recent. I meant because of that experience two years ago, I am wary to pay for the return postage.

19lottie82 Sat 28-Oct-17 23:43:59

Not your problem she lives in Canada, she still needs to provide you with a label to return it, BUT don’t try to return it without going through the proper channels.

As advised open a return request with eBay giving the reason that the item is counterfeit. If the seller doesn’t provide a label within 8 daysyou can ask ebay to step in and help.

Jellyshoeshurtmyfeet Sat 28-Oct-17 23:55:14

If an item is fake and you can prove it sometimes ebay will authorise a refund and not make you return the item. I had this issue with a pair of fake Levis last year. You need to open the item not as described case.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Sat 28-Oct-17 23:56:32

So I'm now on eBay chat and I described the problem and eBay goes,

"how may I help you?"

So I described it again, and they eBay goes,

"I can see here that your seller accepted your return request and provide you a label , did you get the label?
Bernadette9:48 AM
have you checked your personal email if there was a label to be use?"

Uhm did you check the history?

MagdalenLaundry Sat 28-Oct-17 23:59:34

You don't need eBay chat to open a case
The correct procedure is to open a not as described case

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Sun 29-Oct-17 00:15:34

I opened a case. The seller accepted the return but said she couldn't send the return postage label. That's why I talked to eBay chat who seemed clueless on how to approach this.

19lottie82 Sun 29-Oct-17 01:01:04

As advised just wait until you can ask ebay to escalate / step in and help (if you look at the case in the resolution centre it will tell you when you can do this), then do so.

Ebay can’t do anything until that point.

Then you will either get given a label to return the bag for a full refund, or maybe just get given a refund without having to send it back.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Sun 29-Oct-17 01:03:35

^Yup, will do that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now