Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Seller requesting my bank details for refund

(16 Posts)
GretchenFranklin Tue 17-Oct-17 10:17:36

I bought a small cheap thing and it never turned up. The seller tells me they have proof of purchase so I'm lying about it not arriving (they said I was a bit 'fishy' shock)

A week later (I'm guessing the item has found it's way back to the seller) they request my bank account and sort code to refund as 'paypal is playing up'.

I'm not comfortable handing out these details to a total random. Ebay make you speak to a robot now as well so I'm getting nowhere. Any thoughts from anyone?

SandyDenny Tue 17-Oct-17 10:19:39

I'd say you want to wait for their paypal to sort itself out and report to ebay.

Unlikely to be anything scammy but they should refund via paypal imo

keepstum Tue 17-Oct-17 10:23:49

Cheap enough that you can live without getting the refund, I'd say no, repeat my paypal address "in case that's what's going wrong", and report the whole thing to ebay - by writing them a letter, if it's easier than getting through their robotic system (do tell them in the letter that that's why you're writing instead though). Sounds as though the whole operation might be a scam aimed at getting bank details (ie maybe the item never existed), so I'd be concerned.

Rainallday Tue 17-Oct-17 10:23:55

Don't give them your bank details. I've always spoken to someone helpful on the phone when I've called Ebay I think you request a call back and they call you straight away and they can sort things out that way by looking at the messages etc. Otherwise you can open a dispute through eBay you can also open one through paypal- you will get a refund as they generally favour the buyer. I wouldn't enter into correspondence with the seller as they're insulting you and refusing to use PayPal.

GretchenFranklin Tue 17-Oct-17 10:27:12

I wouldn't enter into correspondence with the seller as they're insulting you and refusing to use PayPal.

Yes I thought this!

Thanks everyone, I'll try to phone ebay.

19lottie82 Tue 17-Oct-17 12:28:42

You don't need to call ebay, just open a not received case.

My guess is the buyer has a negative PayPal balance, so they won't be able to refund you unless they top it back up UNLESS eBay force a refund which is what they will do if you open a case, so do it now.

ijustwannadance Tue 17-Oct-17 12:33:16

Proof of postage is not proof of delivery unless sent by a tracked method.

As lottie said, just open an item not received case.

verystressedmum Wed 18-Oct-17 02:08:44

I was trying to refund a buyer last week but PayPal was playing up and the refund kept failing. I called PayPal and they did it manually I certainly didn’t ask for the buyers bank details.

GirlInASwirl Wed 18-Oct-17 02:20:23

You do well to use your instincts. They can refund when Paypal is back up and/or you also have e-bay's advice and support.

Justanothermama Wed 18-Oct-17 02:26:47

If it helps I haven't been able to use any of my cards through PayPal today on mine nor my husbands accounts, however it seems an easy scam (if indeed it is one)... sell cheap item, don't send, offer refund via bank details. It's like buying your bank details off you. I used to work in banking and the levels people go to for scams never surprises me.

Time40 Wed 18-Oct-17 03:00:56

What could someone actually do with just someone's bank details, though? Surely, in order to steal money from an online account, they would also need a password or membership number and a security code? I'm not saying the OP is in the least bit wrong to be concerned, or that the OP should give the details; I'm just wondering if it's really dangerous and if so, why.

Protectingmydaughterfromfilth Wed 18-Oct-17 04:58:07

Time40 They can set up Direct Debits from your account! To pay their bills!

19lottie82 Wed 18-Oct-17 08:28:34

But you're covered under the direct debit guarantee, and would get the money back the same day. And you'd have to be a really thick scammer to do that as it would immediately trace back to you.
There's really no risk handing over bank details, they're on cheques that you can give to people!

Justanothermama Wed 18-Oct-17 09:26:17

Perhaps they'll go on to then ask for more info. Yes, bank details are secure to an extent, but money could be laundered through an account also. You just have to be careful who you pass info to online. As ex bank staff I wouldn't do it. Also the seller isn't protected for the refund as it's outside of eBay so the general consensus on both sides is keep everything within eBay.

Justanothermama Wed 18-Oct-17 09:28:46

They could set up financial agreements using your details (name, address, bank details). Money could be laundered elsewhere. Lots of possibilities.

GretchenFranklin Wed 18-Oct-17 23:50:15

I set up bank detail payments all the time. If someone set up a pay £5/£50 a month into an account using my details it might take me a while to realise it shock!

Anyhow I didn't speak to the seller and ebay via a phone call to goodness knows where has got me my little refund. I will block this seller, I think they were up to no good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now