Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Argh - item from the US held at customs. My fault or the sellers?

(15 Posts)
DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 05-Oct-17 20:40:08

The tracking order showed Delivered a few days back but I had no delivery. Long story short it's being held in a local PO Box and I'm supposed to geth a letter about the charges. Was I supposed to know that or should the seller mention something? Should that charge be worked into the item price? Thanks.

ASDismynormality Thu 05-Oct-17 20:41:57

This happened to us recently, the customs charge is worked out using the item and postage cost.

Liara Thu 05-Oct-17 20:42:26

Usually if you buy from the US customs charges are for you to pay. The seller would not necessarily know what the customs charges are for every country in the world, specially if they are not a professional seller.

PoppyPopcorn Thu 05-Oct-17 20:42:38

Your problem. You cannot expect a seller to know the ins and outs of every country's customs regulations. There may well be VAT to pay on imported goods, there is no way of working it into the price as no American seller deals with HMRC.

You will have to pay the charges, plus a handling fee.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 05-Oct-17 20:42:57

I had a quick google earlier on and it sounded lile it'd have to be over £120???
Might be wrong. the item with postage was £107

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 05-Oct-17 20:43:41

They're an experienced seller, a business

PoppyPopcorn Thu 05-Oct-17 20:45:43

www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

No, any item over £15 is liable to VAT. There is a higher limit for customs charges. What is your item and how much is it worth?

Anecdoche Thu 05-Oct-17 20:46:18

there are 2 types of charge. duty and vat.
duty is over 120 but import vat is anything over £18. there is also a handling charge of is it £9 (not sure on that)

it is the responsibility of the buyer to pay all applicable charges.

dudsville Thu 05-Oct-17 20:47:06

Yes to pps although, I was caught unawares by this once and I left it uncollected and it went back to the sEller and I got a full refund. Sites can be difficult to navigate and it can be hard to see that you're buying from overseas at times. My last purchase, from China, delayed for a month due to a local festival, was the tip of the learning curve for me. Fecking amazon!

PoppyPopcorn Thu 05-Oct-17 20:47:13

www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

TheGuffalo Thu 05-Oct-17 20:47:32

can’t remember what the fees are but they’re steep. It’s not the actual custom fees, it is the handling fees that get you.

WeAreEternal Thu 05-Oct-17 21:03:48

I had something shipped from the USA last week.
It was a £67 inc postage I had to pay nearly £20 to Royal Mail in import tax and fees.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 05-Oct-17 21:07:40

Thabks everyone.
The otem was £97 <cries>. So probably it'll cost the same as if I got it off Amazon here. Tsk.
Royal mail adviser said I could refuse the parcel but I want to see the fees first - if it amouts to the same price as UK product - fine. Lesson learned.

nauticant Sat 07-Oct-17 16:11:22

The extra charges should be VAT (20%) and a £8 Royal Mail handling charge. Call it nearly £30.

blueberrypie0112 Sat 07-Oct-17 16:14:25

Sellers may not, but I do expect the website know. They should have set it up so people can see what they are getting themselves into

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now