Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Accepting a "Best Offer"

(6 Posts)
Caroian Wed 31-May-17 15:03:36

I'm fairly new to eBay selling, so not sure what I'm doing with this one. I listed an item and despite unticking the option to accept Best Offers, it went on with it anyway (seems to happen quite a lot!). I didn't bother to edit it and received an offer, to which I made a counter offer. eBay said they would notify me when the buyer responded. No notifications came through, but about 12 hours later the item sold at the full BIN price. I happened to be on eBay when this happened and saw that "payment information" was being requested. Once I looked at this, I realised the buyer was the person to whom I'd made a counter offer. However before I could edit any payment information, they paid in full at the listed BIN price.

Is it normal with accepting Best Offers that you will need to manually edit the payment information? In this case do I now need to refund her the difference between the offer I'd made and the price she paid? It's a low value item, so we're talking a very small amount of money, but I'm just not sure what I should have done, or how I should proceed now.

Thank you!

19lottie82 Wed 31-May-17 16:01:21

Don't worry about it, they paid the full amount so just dispatch the item.

Caroian Wed 31-May-17 19:29:58

Ok, thanks, think I will just do that. I will refund it if the buyer asks about it!

For future reference though, do you have to manually adjust the price if you accept a Best Offer, or someone accepts a counter offer, or should the offer price automatically be applied for that buyer?

Monkeypuzzle32 Wed 31-May-17 19:31:39

No if you counter offer and the buyer accepts Ebay does it all for you!

lazydog Wed 31-May-17 19:34:24

The counter offer price would automatically be what they are billed if they accept the counter offer. She messed up and didn't respond to your counter offer - hitting buy it now instead. Her loss, but of course you can discount out of the kindness of your heart if you feel sorry for her stupidity grin

Caroian Wed 31-May-17 21:42:57

We're talking about £1, so not a big loss either way! I won't refund it unless she contacts me to ask. After all, it was only by chance that I'd taken in the username and realised it was the same person! The request for payment information threw me though as I've not seen that come up on a BIN before. Good to know it should be automatic and I haven't done anything wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now