Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Safest way to pay for collect in person

(8 Posts)
Movingin2017 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:14:39

Hi which is safer for a collect in person item - cash on collection, PayPal or debit/credit card. I have all these options for a £200 odd quid item I've just purchased
DH says cash on collection and don't give it over until we've seen the item working as it was advertised as in working condition

Summerisdone Sun 23-Apr-17 19:47:10

Are you not able to do a paypal or bank transfer through your phone app? If so I'd do this when you get there and have been able to prove it's all in working order. This way you're not risking paying anything upfront but also have all the proof the item has been paid for etc.

Movingin2017 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:08:00

Ok great idea thank you!

CointreauVersial Sun 23-Apr-17 21:11:59

Normally cash on collection is recommended. As your DH says, check it all works before handing over the dosh.

The seller is taking a risk if he takes Paypal for a collection item. He would have no proof that the item had been "sent". But it won't make a difference if you're the buyer.

GU24Mum Sun 23-Apr-17 21:13:41

I'd never accept Paypal for a collection item as a dodgy buyer (ie not you!) could claim for an undelivered item he'd collected. If buyers collect things from me I just ask them to bring the money when they collect.

Movingin2017 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:25:51

Ok that makes sense, thanks all. We don't buy a lot from eBay and never bought a collection item before.

I've messaged giving a couple of collection dates, asked if they can leave the item set up so we can test on arrival, and offered either cash on collection or Paypal done whilst we are there, whichever seller prefers.

ImaLannister Sun 23-Apr-17 23:41:48

If the seller had any wits about them then they shouldn't accept Paypal for cash on Collection. It's a big no no for sellers, as it leaves them wide open for fraud with non genuine/dishonest buyers. I'm not saying you are dishonest etc OP, but as a general rule collection items should be cash on collection only, for sellers. It's great for the buyer to pay by PayPal. Seller is only protected with proof of posting, and they can't prove that if its collection.

19lottie82 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:32:54

A savvy buyer will only accept cash upon collection, but yes, you are perfectly within your rights to check the item over first and see if working

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now