Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Are any other eBayers dreading the prospect of leaving the single market?

(5 Posts)
Asmoto Sun 23-Apr-17 02:35:06

I trade a lot within the EU, and I'm really dreading the idea of leaving the single market. When I compare the experience of trading within the EU to the (rare) occasions I have ventured outside, my heart sinks - the lengthy customs delay; as a buyer, having to pay import VAT plus handling charges. Some of my pro-Brexit friends have called me shallow for having these concerns - but I think leaving the single market will have a devastating impact on all online marketplaces. I'm not looking for a Brexit bunfight, but I wondered what other eBayers thought?

19lottie82 Sun 23-Apr-17 08:46:19

Not really no, but I don't sell a lot outwith the UK.

The thing that has totally hammered me is the poor pound since the referendum, as I buy most of my stock from China in USD.

It used to be 1.5 $=D now it's about 1.2 😓🐱😊, I'm really struggling.

wobblywindows Thu 27-Apr-17 13:24:43

I'm not expecting anything to change. The global shipping program works fine for my little bit of exporting, and none of my imports are sufficiently expensive to attract VAT. I might order up some extras from China, to be on the safe side.

fafflygood Fri 28-Apr-17 10:36:48

I'm on the continent and buy regularly from a particular UK seller (and also love a bit of Emma Bridgewater). I won't be able to afford to after Brexit, just as I can't afford to buy from the US - other than super-cheap items - because the import taxes are prohibitive.

I hardly think that being concerned about your livelihood is 'shallow', your friends are being very unfair. Do they never think of their finances?

Sugarcoma Fri 28-Apr-17 19:27:19

On the flip side you now won't have to declare an individual VAT return for every country you sell to within the EU...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now