Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Refund for not as described

(14 Posts)
Squeezed Fri 14-Apr-17 17:32:07

Ordered a very cheap item under with free postage. When it arrived it's a completely different item. After contacting the seller and them admitting it was different, I've asked for a refund and return. Seller won't pay for tracked postage, which I don't want to do as they could just say it has not arrived. Will eBay issue a returns label?
I know it's not much money but it was needed for a specific purpose and the seller's responses have annoyed me.

19lottie82 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:37:03

Open a case with eBay and you will be provided with a tracked pre paid returns label.

You should always do this anyway as it keeps everything by the book and covers you in case there are any disputes / disagreements further down the line.

Squeezed Fri 14-Apr-17 18:50:17

That's great thank you. I've raised the case. Seller is getting unpleasant now so I'll see what happens.

19lottie82 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:00:02

Don't get involved in arguments with the seller, just stick to the facts and stop communicating once you've made it clear what's wrong with the item and what you want (returns label and refund) If they don't accept the return and issue a returns label then after 8 days you can ask eBay to step in help. They will then force the return and issue you with a return label.

Don't leave feedback until the case is closed and you have your refund. And keep it factual.

ragged Thu 20-Apr-17 20:49:26

May I tag on a question, as a seller?

I accepted a return request... Ebay only charged me £3 for the return label. Item cost me £22 to post, though. So how is a £3 return label going to work? There wasn't an option for me to increase the amount. I am so confused. Thanks.

19lottie82 Fri 21-Apr-17 01:03:08

ragged you're always best to start your own thread, to avoid any confusion and maximise your responses. However, in answer to your question.......

It won't. The label provided by eBay will only work on items under 2kg and will provide insurance up to £50 (?).

If this doesn't meet the requirements for the item being returned to you then you must send the buyer your own label, which you must first purchase from a courier.

ragged Fri 21-Apr-17 05:50:04

Thanks, that's helpful & all I needed to know. The Ebay discussion boards seemed to say something totally different, like £2.99 was the only charge ever made, but the details were sparse so I had a feeling not good advice. Thanks, I will try Ebay discussion boards & Ebay CS to figure out how to send a label.

ragged Fri 21-Apr-17 08:32:59

... ooh, Chat with Ebay customer services that was actually useful. If anyone finds selves in same situation:

EbayCS said I should arrange my owner courier (courier to bring labels). So the buyer just needs to wrap items back up & tell me when & where to collect from. Much more sensible than me sending buyer a label. I would only be charged the £2.99 if the buyer actually used that label (which they can't... then again, I know they can't understand what they read or are told... but the PO will reject item for £2.99, obviously, so I can't be charged, anyway).

Alas I don't work for one of these companies that provide great freight rates I can tap into... but if I get item back in decent condition I will still sell it locally "as seen" for a small final profit.

Win some, lose some...

19lottie82 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:34:15

Courier doesn't need to bring the labels.

Go to parcelmonkey website and use it to find cheapest service that meets your needs. Pay for it and you will be emailed a label then forward it to the buyer.

Also maybe check w the buyer if they would prefer a collection or drop off service as a lot of people aren't keen on the former as it means they have to wait in all day.

ragged Fri 21-Apr-17 16:26:52

I don't trust the buyer to be organised. They didnt answer emails when I asked for their mobile to give delivery courier. They didnt read the parts of listing that said this was well used item that probably needed work. That's why they paid £145 for an item with new price £390. If all they have to do is wrap item & tell me where & when to collect then I provided good customer service for return. And I GET all tracking info. Also eBay told me to arrange courier for them. Only way I could get better price is if they take item to depot. I don't trust buyer to do that right, anyway. Still awaiting any response from buyer about when & where. Only £7 more if courier collects too. Worth peace of mind.

ragged Fri 21-Apr-17 16:29:39

EBay said use courier that takes labels to buyer, specifically.

19lottie82 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:31:12

Don't always believe what EBay tell you, especially live chat. They are based in Asia (or India) and don't always have a great grasp on how eBay UK operates.

19lottie82 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:32:29

If a courier is collecting you need the buyer to be in. If you just send them a label and they don't use it then that's their problem not yours, you can't be penalised for that.

ragged Fri 21-Apr-17 17:11:14

ime, eBay penalises sellers for everything!
The courier that brings labels is the cheapest that will collect, anyway.

My previous messgs were typed on phone on train... man, that takes 200 yrs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now