Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer slow to collect

(14 Posts)
Viperess Tue 11-Apr-17 11:57:35

They have paid for the item (furniture.) Arrived as planned but decided they couldn't get it in car. Said they would come back with van and would let us know when. They haven't (yet) and are not responding to emails. It's early days, they may well be in touch, but legally what 's the score? I want shot of it as it's taking up space. Don't want to have to refund as will incur Ebay fees anyway for sale.

19lottie82 Tue 11-Apr-17 19:45:55

You shouldn't accept PayPal for collection only items anyway, it leaves you wide open to being scammed.

lljkk Tue 11-Apr-17 19:49:45

I would offer to refund & send them a cancellation request... if no reply after 48 hrs then refund & send request. Just say "I understand these things don't work always work out" to explain why. Allows you to move on. You can add them to blocked bidder list after that, if you think they are time wasters.

They can still leave feedback... don't get cross at them whatever you do.

Viperess Wed 12-Apr-17 07:55:25

Sorry- don't understand your comment about not using Paypal? The risk with accepting cash is the buyer doesn't turn up ever. How can money paid through Paypal result in a scam?

The problem with offering a refund is we will be out of pocket for Ebay fees on the sale.

19lottie82 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:05:08

Buyer pays with PayPal and collects item.

Then opens a "not received case" with eBay or PayPal. You can't prove the item was delivered so buyer will be refunded and keeps the items. It's a classic scam.

To maintain your buyer protection you MUST send items via a method with an online proof of delivery, which obv you can't do when an item is collected.

Yes you can cancel a sale within 30 days and get your fees back. If it's been longer then that then you will need to refund anyway and just chalk this one down to experience I'm afraid.

EBay is a great selling platform but you really need to educate yourself in avoiding potential scams and what to do in situations like this and refund / fee return Windows ect so you don't end up out of pocket.

Viperess Wed 12-Apr-17 09:13:51

I'd ask them to sign a receipt saying they have taken it away. Same as selling anything where a person collects it.
Ive been an Ebayer for years, never had any issues, this is the first.

afinetoothcomb Wed 12-Apr-17 09:17:36

A receipt won't help if they open up a dispute. One of those ridiculous rules and a reason why I stopped selling collection only items on eBay.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 12-Apr-17 09:19:41

How long has it been since they won the auction, and how long since they said they'd bring a van?
If it's a couple of days then YABU as they might be having trouble hiring a van. If it's a couple of weeks then YANU at all.
Perhaps contact them giving them till Saturday to collect and make it clear that you'll be refunding and relisting that evening if it's not gone.

19lottie82 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:14:40

viperess a receipt won't make any difference unfortunately, you need online tracking that says the item has been delivered to the addresss that accompanies the PayPal payment.

toothcomb no need to stop selling collection items, just make sure it's cash only.

19lottie82 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:15:48

PS you might not have had any issues but the fact is you're still leaving yourself wide open to being ripped off.

Viperess Wed 12-Apr-17 16:14:25

lottie- I genuinely don't get your point.
If they pay by cash when they collect how is that any different? They can still raise a 'not received' if they pay with cash. It's their word against the seller's. You can't prove someone has paid you with cash.
I thought Ebay actually recommended payments via Paypal for this very reason.

19lottie82 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:58:06

OP - No, they can't. EBay won't get involved with cash transactions. How could they possibly enforce a refund?

Yes, generally as a rule, eBay advise that all transactions should be paid for with PayPal APART from collection items, as it voids a sellers protection, for the reason explained in my earlier post.

SistersOfPercy Wed 12-Apr-17 21:03:57

Vipress, lottie knows what she's talking about.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3439087

lljkk Thu 13-Apr-17 08:51:47

Selling on Freeads (gumtree, Facebook selling pages), you just sell for cash as is & move on. the only resolution process is small claims or personal appeal. Often less stress than all this faff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now