Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Think I've fallen for a scam

(6 Posts)
wowfudge Wed 05-Apr-17 13:18:01

Bought a well known item yesterday at a bargain price and paid with debit card via PayPal. Messaged the seller and asked could we arrange faster delivery. No response. I appreciate not everyone is online all the time, but this was someone registered as a business seller so I would expect to have heard back 24 hours after messaging.

Anyway - log in to eBay today and find latest feedback is negative as items haven't been received. One is about the same thing I have bought. The listing claims 40 odd sold, but the seller doesn't actually have that many items sold against their account. Seller only registered in December so I should have been wary. The old adage of if it seems too good to be true applies.

So I have messaged the seller asking to cancel my purchase as the advice in the eBay help centre is to act quickly if you think there is something untoward about a transaction, especially if you paid by card via PayPal as it can take five days for the seller to get the money out of their PayPal account.

Anything else I should do at this stage? If I don't hear back from the seller, when should I contact eBay to get a refund?

wowfudge Wed 05-Apr-17 13:18:24

Bloody hell, that was long!

19lottie82 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:56:26

What was the item and how much did you pay for it compared to the RRP? If it really is too good to be true then that would set alarm bells ringing with me.

TBH a lot of scams are set out like this and a seller will list 10 x iPhone 7s @£99 each and they will all sell in an hour and then the seller had £990, never to be seen again!

But don't worry at this stage, if the above is the case, just open a not received case once the delivery estimate has passed, and then escalate the case ASAP (8 days after opening it) and you will get your money back.

A pain in the arse yes, but if you have been scammed you will get your money back.

wowfudge Wed 05-Apr-17 19:00:56

It was a window vac - just found out the seller is suspended. What do I do now?

wowfudge Wed 05-Apr-17 19:01:41

Sorry, I guess the same advice still stands.

nauticant Wed 05-Apr-17 21:05:35

You check the transaction to see the delivery window, open an item not received case once the latest date is passed, and then follow the process to get your money back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now