Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Claiming item didn't turn up after 5 months

(4 Posts)
aniceearlynight Wed 05-Apr-17 12:25:08

I sold a piece of clothing back in October 2016 for approx. £20. Posted it to the address given on Paypal and thought no more of it. Today received an email from paypal saying that the buyer has opened a case against me in the resolution centre as they haven't received their item.

This is the first I’ve heard of it – the buyer has never messaged me before to ask where the item was or to say it hadn’t arrived. I will probably have the proof of postage receipt somewhere (will necessitate quite a lot of searching to find it) but I think I would have sent the item via ordinary first class post so won't have proof of delivery. Even if I had sent it via signed for, would it still be on the Royal Mail system given that nearly 6 months has elapsed?

Is this someone trying it on? It all seems v unlikely that the buyer has suddenly realised the item didn’t turn up and wants to claim the money back now. Will Paypal be of any help do you think? I can't even find details of the transaction on my eBay or PayPal accounts as it was so long ago and I sell quite regularly. Any idea/opinions gratefully received!

19lottie82 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:58:45

Unfortunately buyers have 180 days to open a case link this and a lot of scammers use this to their advantage. You will need proof of delivery to win, so all you can do is refund. If you ignore this or refuse to refund PayPal will take he refund along with a £14 admin fee.

I feel your pain but in future send everything signed for and upload the tracking number against the sales record.

19lottie82 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:03:15

PayPal won't assist you because in order to maintain your seller protection that they offer they make it clear that you must send it by a method with proof of delivery.

aniceearlynight Wed 05-Apr-17 23:36:00

Thanks Lottie. I guess I'll just have to suck it up then. Next time I'll send it signed for. I don't usually like doing that for low-value items as I think it puts buyers off but I guess I missed a trick posting a £20 item via normal post. I can't help thinking that the Paypal regs encourage scammers to chance their arm...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now