This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What would you do - item still not been sent

(17 Posts)
Trinpy Sat 18-Mar-17 15:25:57

Almost 3 weeks ago I saw an item I liked on eBay for collection only. It was too far away for me to collect but the auction was nearly over and no one had bid so I messaged the seller asking if they would consider posting it. Seller replied straight away saying yes no problem, I put in a bid and won.

I'm still waiting for the item to be dispatched sad. I keep messaging every few days asking for an update but communication from seller has been pretty rubbish (though when they do respond they're always very apologetic).

I'm starting to get a bit fed up now - I just want my item! I haven't paid yet because seller hasn't invoiced me with p&p costs yet.

What should I do? I know stuff happens and things get delayed but I really don't want this dragging on for another week.

19lottie82 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:48:52

Pay the item with out the P and P costs. You will get an estimated delivery date. If it doesn't arrive by then, open a not received case.

Hopefully you paying ( or a case ) will spur the buyer into invoicing you for the postage and sending it.

19lottie82 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:49:34

PS but at the end of the day, unfortunately you can't force someone to sell you an item if they don't want to.

Trinpy Sat 18-Mar-17 17:12:13

Thanks. I didnt know the seller could I'll invoice me for the p&p costs after I'd paid. I'll pay now.

Tbh, I wouldn't care at all if they just wanted to cancel the whole thing, as long as they tell me that's what they want. It's the tedious dragging it out for weeks that has annoyed me.

lljkk Sun 19-Mar-17 08:56:52

I would file item not received now, not pursue this any longer.

I am in the opposite situation... someone bid on something on Ebay that I had For Collection Only. They were a 60 mile drive away, but I've had no contact (I've sent them many messages). I'm sure they never wanted to come collect, they didn't read the listing properly. Refund via Paypal has gone wrong because I didn't initially have enough paypal funds, now I do have enough paypal funds but still Paypal has the refund listed as pending. I wonder when they will get refund, and if I'll get Neg feedback? Argh.

If I get a chance to relist, I will type FOR COLLECTION ONLY at least 10 times as part of the listing.

lljkk Sun 19-Mar-17 08:58:15

oh, my oversight, you didn't pay anything yet. Then I'd just tell them I want to cancel. I am not sure if buyer can initiate that, might be seller's problem. Just get out of the whole thing ASAP.

Trinpy Sun 19-Mar-17 10:53:15

Thanks llljkk. I've paid for the item now but not postage. Just waiting for the 4 days you be up so I start an item not sent case. I think the seller does have to cancel but this seller is quite slow with contact (can be a few days to respond to a message, can be a week), so I would probably be waiting a long time for them to cancel.

I hope your situation gets resolved soon.If the sale is cancelled then I don't think the buyer can leave feedback. I've had someone not read the description and bid on a collection only item of mine that they can't collect too. It's very annoying. I once sold a double buggy travel system - very heavy, very bulky, about a million different attachments - it was surprising the number of eBayers who couldn't understand why I wouldn't reconsider posting it hmm.

19lottie82 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:01:39

IIJKK the buyer can request a cancellation but the seller has to enforce it. Paying was the best option in this scenario as then the seller will realise that they have to send the item or have the money pulled back and a defect on their account.

As I said OP check the delivery estimate and if it hasn't arrived by then open a not received case - worse case scenario you get your money back and the order is cancelled but hopefully this will give the seller a kick up the butt to get things moving.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

lljkk Sun 19-Mar-17 15:35:13

If the sale is cancelled then I don't think the buyer can leave feedback

I'm 99% sure they can leave f/back. F/B is only unavailable for non-paying bidders. I suppose at least mine paid fast.

Argh, in back of my mind I think I knew about keeping paypal balance up for any refunds to happen instantly. Just don't do this very often.

Trinpy Sun 19-Mar-17 17:46:15

I didn't know that about the feedback lljkk. That's rubbish.

lottie there is no estimated delivery date. I assume because it is still collection only?

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Sun 19-Mar-17 18:11:20

Yes there won't be an estimated delivery date for collection items. I wouldn't have paid and would have just wrote it off and left shit feedback. You will have a nightmare getting a refund now, as the seller could say you have collected! There is no proof with collection items..think you have just shot yourself in the foot TBH.

Trinpy Sun 19-Mar-17 18:26:23

Oh good hmm.

Seller has no proof that I have collected though (obviously - because I haven't!) and I've got all the messages from them confirming that they're happy to post item, so surely ebay should agree with me that I should be issued a refund?

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Sun 19-Mar-17 22:35:36

It's just a long process though if you do eventually get a refund. There was no point in you paying really. They obviously have no intention of posting? Or if they genuinely did they can't now...if you read on eBay the guidelines it says to pay for collection items cash on collection due to there obviously being a lot of scammers, so from now it is your word against theirs that you have/haven't collected.

But as you say you have messages so may be ok.But it is paypal you will be dealing with remember.

19lottie82 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:55:46

Not really a long process....... a week?
I still maintain that paying was the best method to shake the seller into cooperating. As I said obviously you can't force someone to sell something if they don't want to, but worse case scenario the OP gets her money back, no harm done.

OP can you open a non receipt case with eBay? If not just do it through PayPal.

Trinpy Mon 20-Mar-17 13:01:22

Yes I've checked and I can open a case if I haven't received my item a week after payment.

Trinpy Mon 27-Mar-17 21:43:44

Update: it's all sorted. I have my item (which is really lovely) and the seller paid for the p&p as an apology. So it all worked out very well smile.

Thank you all of you for your help.

19lottie82 Tue 28-Mar-17 12:47:22

Great. Thanks for the update OP. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now