Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Selling perfume sample/ threatening behaviour

(16 Posts)
Housewife2010 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:12:13

I've just sold a perfume sample for £2.95 posted. I have just had this reply.
"Hi I've received my samples from you today and noticed they say "FREE SAMPLE, NOT FOR SALE" on them it is illegall to sell them I would like a full refund otherwise I will have to leave a negative review and report to EBay with an explaining as to why. I hope we can resolve this."
Is it illegal to sell these samples? I have seen a lot on Ebay. Also, I feel that the buyer has shown threatening behaviour. What do I do? I have reported this to Ebay, but haven't yet worked out how to email/phone Ebay for advice. I have a very good Ebay rating and for he sake of £2.95 I could just refund, but I do dislike being threatened. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

HeavenlyEyes Wed 08-Mar-17 19:03:30

I would just refund but I would report them for feedback extortion too. They are not for resale so I could understand buyer not being happy tbh.

mowgelijeffs Wed 08-Mar-17 19:26:59

What the actual hell?

They were not forced into buying them! They chose to. They knew they were samples unless you lied about what you were selling?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 08-Mar-17 19:31:33

It sounds as though the buyer knew what they were buying, and knew that they would be marked "not for resale". They bought them anyway knowing that you would end up having to give them a refund - with free postage!

It practical terms, you will end up having to refund anyway. eBay will undoubtedly side with the buyer on this. I would definitely report them for feedback extortion though.

HecateAntaia Wed 08-Mar-17 19:32:26

well they are free sample not for resale so no they shouldnt be sold.
im not sure the government has made it a crime though. although im ready to be corrected.
more a breach of the company's t&c so whatever if anything theyd do.

id tell her send it back for a full refund. its not worth the aggro.

StumblyMonkey Wed 08-Mar-17 19:44:34

I would also tell them to send it back for a full refund. My feeling is they are counting on you just refunding....make them at least post it back

LilQueenie Wed 08-Mar-17 19:50:50

technically she is right but if you stated they were samples in the listing she would have known and if not she should have read it clearly. Report for feedback extortion.

Housewife2010 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:06:30

Hello
Thanks for all your feedback. I've refunded him. (It was aftershave). I have 100% feedback and thought it wasn't worth risking that for £2.95. (This was my much calmer husband's advice!) I've reported him to Ebayer and blocked him. I've checked his feedback and he's left unpleasant feedback for other people. I checked Ebay rules and they don't allow you to sell samples marked "not for resale". When listing I sometimes include that in the description, but here I obviously hadn't. I now know that I shouldn't have listed such items, but it wouldn't bother me if I bought a perfume sample from Ebay marked as "Not for resale". I may not have got it for free, but if I wanted a specific perfume sample I would have to go into town (train/car parking) and spend time chatting to the assistant who may or may not have that perfume sample in stock. If I could just order one at a small price that would arrive at my house a day or two later, then I think it is worth it. I can see that Ebay have rules for a reason and I hope that reporting this unpleasant person won't backfire on me.

Housewife2010 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:15:17

Update - Just looked at his facebook page - the main photo has him naked, sitting on the toilet with his pants around his ankles! Lovely. I think I'm pleased I've blocked him.

pinkblink Wed 08-Mar-17 20:18:14

You sent him a free a sample and charged for postage if he wants to be an arse about it.... hmm

Housewife2010 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:19:32

pinkblink That's a good point.

RockyBird Wed 08-Mar-17 20:19:59

<quickly removes samples from listings>

I hadn't a clue about that one.

HeavenlyEyes Wed 08-Mar-17 21:50:42

trouble is even refunding and doing what he wants will not stop him negging and leaving low stars if he wants to.

DevelopingDetritus Fri 10-Mar-17 09:30:23

God, what an Ahole, I think I would have asked him to return it, so at least he couldn't use it the B. Still, well done for keeping your cool.
Sounds like a complete weirdo, well blocked. Naked on toilet :-o

LorLorr2 Fri 17-Mar-17 14:41:09

Leave crappy feedback on him. He sounds like he has nothing to do all day.

Housewife2010 Fri 17-Mar-17 19:22:17

I found out how to raise an extortion report! My first reply from Ebay was useless so I pursued it. My second reply was good. They're taking it seriously and are going to deal with him. I don't want to leave him any feedback incase he gives me a negative mark. I've blocked him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now