Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

refund item only

(11 Posts)
robin64 Mon 20-Feb-17 12:13:14

What is the best way to accept an item back and only refund actual item not postage (original and return P&P) but get selling fees back? As the item was properly described with all measurements and there is no flaws I only want to refund actual item price but I know this doesn't come out like a refund so might affect fee refund - fees are paid on postage costs aren't they? Is this just going to be a pain?

19lottie82 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:57:13

If you accept a refund then you have to refund the original postage charges unfortunately. It doesn't matter if the item is faulty or not.

If you were to just issue a partial through PayPal then you wouldn't get your seller fees back.

Get the buyer to open a return request via eBay where the can purchase a return label to send the item back to you, but as stated you must refund the full amount inc original postage. EBay will then refund your seller fees back to your account.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 20-Feb-17 17:00:51

As PP has said - you can't unfortunately.

You can either issue a partial refund, but not receive your eBay Seller fees back, or you can refund the whole amount inclusive of P&P.

robin64 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:00:31

sigh... thanks lottie and santas I thought this was the case. Buyer saying how lovely item is etc etc but slightly small on hips for her and wants to return. Although I say no returns I am aware this means little. She probably would accept it if I said no but it just seems unsatisfactory to do that.
I actually wouldn't mind accepting the return if it didn't mean losing out on the original postage costs. I am not that happy to do a £20 partial refund, that just seems daft and I lose fees that way anyway. Why won't people just relist like I would do if the same happened. She probably just wears once and returns. Eye roll!!

19lottie82 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:18:06

Hi OP - You are under no obligation to accept the return!

The "no returns" thing often cause confusion, however it can be applied to change of mind / non fault returns (like this scenario). It's only not applicable when the item is faulty or misdescribed.

robin64 Tue 21-Feb-17 13:03:24

sooo, this might be helpful to others..
Spoke to ebay CS (call back) which I have to say is generally really helpful. Explained scenario, and I can have a fee refund after all even though I have only partially refunded item (actual price, no P&P) which I did via the transaction on paypal. To do this you need to contact (get a call back from) the fees and billing dept who adjust fees. The CS person guided me through how to get to the fees dept via the help page. It is a bit of a faff but I have done it all with them calling me back so no hanging around trying to get through or live chat which is a pain at times. There is a 20 min wait on the call back as the fees dept are busy so if it all goes wrong now I will update! However this could be a way to solve the fee issue on returns on an item that is fine but remorse/fit of buyer. Even CS said I had every possible measurement and description covered! Doesn't happen often but it is annoying to lose out through no fault - I am not M&S - it was a bargain 2nd hand jacket!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 21-Feb-17 13:04:35

I'm registered as a Business Seller so have to accept returns. If you are a private seller & state "no returns" then you honestly don't have to.

Some people are so cheeky. If you're buying from a Business Seller fair enough but it's unfair to expect individuals to be out of pocket because your hips are a little wide.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 21-Feb-17 13:06:38

Haha, x-posts!

I'm so glad you found eBay's one helpful employee grin.

Excellent result.

robin64 Tue 21-Feb-17 13:21:10

Thanks Santas (smile)

robin64 Tue 21-Feb-17 13:22:46

That was meant to be a smiley...god I am useless at mumsnet

expatinscotland Tue 21-Feb-17 13:25:56

This is why many private sellers don't use Ebay anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now