Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Had to refund a buyer, can I get Ebay to refund my fees

(7 Posts)
GrumpyOldBag Wed 08-Feb-17 11:43:40

Sold a designer item recently for £30. Buyer obviously didn't like it & claimed it was not in the condition it was described. I always go to a lot of trouble to describe things thoroughly & accurately but there were microscopic marks not included in the description which would not have put off someone who liked the item. Anyway, I gave a full refund including the return postage (she sent item back recorded) so I am £8 down on the deal.

Can I get eBay to refund the selling fees & how do I do that? Do I just cancel the transaction? I think I will wait & relist the item nearer the summer as it is a seasonal item.

19lottie82 Wed 08-Feb-17 12:12:42

Did you get her to open a not as described return request with eBay before you refunded? If you did that then your fees would have been automatically refunded back to you.

19lottie82 Wed 08-Feb-17 12:13:14

If not then yes you have to go in and manually cancel the transaction.

GrumpyOldBag Wed 08-Feb-17 14:36:32

No, I didn't know you had to do that. Will manually cancel. Thanks for the advice.

19lottie82 Wed 08-Feb-17 14:59:14

Always get them to do it by the book. It keeps everything official / recorded so your back is covered in case of any problems, means you get your fees back and gives you the chance to purchase a £2.99 tracked returns label so saves you money and hassle.

GrumpyOldBag Wed 08-Feb-17 15:21:39

Thanks Lottie, i'll remember that for next time.

dbrackin Wed 08-Feb-17 23:14:51

If you put the return through the ebay managed return process, it also allows them to track which buyers have unusually high return rates. In the meantime your best option is a manual cancellation with the buyer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now