Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Just had my first scammer...

(12 Posts)
Sugarcoma Fri 27-Jan-17 21:26:44

And I'm fucking furious!

It's the most expensive item I've sold on there - a 100 pound bag (I'm mainly clearing out junk as first baby due in 6 weeks).

I sent the bag via DPD and it was delivered. When DPD sent me a text saying what time slot they were delivering it in to him I messaged him to let him know and he replied saying he'd received it. He left me good feedback.

A few weeks later I reciprocated the good feedback and lo and behold, he's just gone and disputed the charge with his credit card company claiming it was an unauthorised payment. So PayPal have opened a case and taken the money from me.

I've obviously uploaded tracking info and screen caps of all his messages/good feedback etc to PayPal but I have so little faith in them I wouldn't be surprised if they still find against me.

But I don't get whether he's stupid or what given the messages, feedback etc? I also have his address (at a university halls) so if they find for him I will 100% be pursuing this outside eBay/PayPal.

Ugh sorry for long post but needed to vent and obviously any advice is much welcome.

And it was funny cause just the other day I was reading through the eBay post someone put up on AIBU and thought it sounded like I'm the only person in the world that hasn't been scammed on there yet. Well now I can join the club!

JigglyTuff Fri 27-Jan-17 22:08:06

He either can't afford to pay his credit card bill or has used the bag and then is trying to get his cash back.

I was first scammed like this ten years' ago and all ebay has done is make it even harder for sellers to dispute dodgy buyers.

What are you going to do to pursue him though? Sounds a bit alarming!

19lottie82 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:18:45

No need to worry. As long as you can prove the item was sent (not even delivered) to the address accompanying the PayPal payment you will be fine.

If PayPal still haven't released your funds then give them a call and remind them you've provided the necessary info and they should sort it out over the phone.

Ilovecaindingle Fri 27-Jan-17 22:19:01

Sounds like maybe his gf has used his account and credit card and he has just realised? I would def pursue tho!

19lottie82 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:20:28

PS it could be the scenario that he's used someone else's credit card to pay for the bag and now they have realised and are disputing the payment...... rather than using his own then claiming the transaction was fraudulent.

nauticant Fri 27-Jan-17 22:37:25

I was equally alarmed by my first chargeback case. At first it seemed that I was at the whim of large companies who would do just what they liked:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/ebay/2782700-Paypal-Chargeback-as-a-seller

but the outcome for me was a very pleasant surprise. It was clearly a scam and Paypal were only interested in whether I'd complied with their rules and once it was clear I had, they left me with my money and did their own thing with the credit card company.

nauticant Fri 27-Jan-17 22:45:12

Once I found I'd not had the money stolen from me I did wonder what ends up happening.

In these kinds of cases does the buyer get the money from their credit card company? If so, which party, in the whole transaction, gets hit for the money?

Sugarcoma Fri 27-Jan-17 23:17:07

Thanks for all the responses.

Pleased to hear that in some cases PayPal are actually sensible about it.

The bag was a men's bag and his messages were all 'mate' this and 'mate' that so I'm pretty sure it was him rather than a girlfriend. It did occur to me that it could be he's nicked someone else's credit card but then surely it's PayPal/eBay's problem for not ensuring the credit card and supplied address match?

And thanks lottie for the advice to give them a call - I'll do so on Monday if I haven't heard anything from them.

nauticant Reading your thread has made me feel better. I've sent them five documents, including tracking number and delivery note showing his verified PayPal/eBay address, as well as his messages saying he'd received the item. I really hope in this case the credit card company come down on him like a ton of bricks since - if it is his credit card (as opposed to he's stolen it from someone else) - he's perpetrating fraud on them. And if it is the case he's stolen the card from someone else I hope PayPal provide his address to the bank so the police can pursue it. I'm sure the reality is that it's all covered by insurance though and the bastard will just get away with it.

Will keep you updated!

Sugarcoma Thu 16-Feb-17 14:07:08

Well thought I'd post a little update following an hour-long chat with PayPal just now during which I nearly felt my brain explode.

Following my last post I uploaded tons of documentation to prove the item was delivered and the guy was a scammer. After a few days with nothing happening I called and they said they'd look into it and get back to me within 72 hours. Obviously they didn't. After 72 hours I called again and this time - thank the Lord - got put through to a call centre in the UK. After taking a look at all the documents I'd uploaded the customer service agent agreed I was clearly covered by Seller Protection and put the £100 back in my account but every time I log in it still says there is an 'unresolved problem' and takes me to the chargeback, so I figure it's just taking them a while to update it.

Cut to two weeks later. I get an email confirming I am covered by Seller Protection and as far as I'm concerned the case is closed. But then I log into my account - they've taken out the £100 again plus an extra £14. I figure this is a mistake which will be rectified and wait a week. Money still missing. So today I called them.

First time I got through I was put through to the Philippines. Thinking this is too complicated for them I call up and try again. This time I get put through to UK. Explain the situation and the customer service agent says he'll put me through to Charhgeback team. Call is transferred and lo and behold it's in the Phillipines again.

I explain the whole situation to the woman who tells me she can see no reason the money was taken from my account again and she will escalate it and I'll get it back within 72 hours. I tell her this is unacceptable and I want to speak to supervisor.

Get on the phone to supervisor who says the same thing but, half way through our convo, suddenly tells me the reason the money was taken out of my account - despite me getting an email assuring me I was covered by Seller Protection - is because according to the tracking info I provided the item was dropped off over 50 miles away from the verified address and do I have proof of postage. I explain the PDF from Parcel2Go is proof of postage but he keeps asking if I have a hard copy.

At this point I lose my shit because A) The tracking info clearly shows item was posted to verified address and B) I had a private message and good feedback from the buyer telling me the item was received.

Customer service agent ignores this and keeps banging on about the item being 50 miles away. So I log onto tracking info myself and see that the couriers have just put 'TEESIDE' next to delivery details. The words 'TEESIDE' is not in his verified address but the postcode is for a Teeside University halls of residence. So some total fucker in the Philippines apparently typed this into Google Maps, didn't understand what he was looking at and took £114 - unauthorised - out of my account.

Once I told the customer service agent that the postcode I sent the item to was in Teeside he checked it himself on Google Maps and agreed a mistake had been made. And I should get my money back within 72 hours.

Isn't that outrageous? Worst part is because I had money coming in and out of my account on PayPal I may never have noticed they'd taken out the money again since they'd emailed me confirming I was covered by Seller Protection.

Anyway I will be writing a long fucking letter to their legal department on Monday if I don't have my money back by then.

In the meantime - what can I do to make this scammer suffer (legally)? I've reported him on eBay but his account is still active.

19lottie82 Thu 16-Feb-17 14:23:29

First of all OP, forget about the buyer. Whether they personally have scammed you or not (there are plenty of scenarios as to who the scammer may actually be, they could have had their account hacked?) is by the by. It's the credit card companies and PayPal's job to sort this, not yours.

I appreciate your frustration but you are better Focusing your energy on getting this resolved with PayPal and getting your money back.

Personally I'd call break again and see if you can speak to someone who can help you.

If you don't have any luck then yes, write a letter (stick to the facts, don't get emotional) .

Sugarcoma Thu 16-Feb-17 16:40:51

Thanks Lottie - PayPal have said I should have the money returned tome within 72 hours so unfortunately there's not much else to do now but wait and see if it comes through.

And don't worry, if I write a letter it will be a lot more restrained - am just venting my frustration on here!

dbrackin Thu 16-Feb-17 18:02:52

Keep calling. There are some great people in the call centres and some less good. If at first you don't succeed...and never trust that it will be done until you see it in your account. Always follow-up and check.

Lottie's advice about focusing on Paypal and not the buyer is excellent. Stay focused on the people who are going to pay the money...

By the way -- there's no reason to think you'll get a worse answer from the Phillipines in my experience.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: