Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Furious with DH

(24 Posts)
Burntbum Sun 22-Jan-17 18:28:55

DH sold my old car for £3000 today. I told him he was not to take PayPal and just cash on collection or a bank transfer and wait until we see it in our account. We discussed it thoroughly this morning and I warned him all about being scammed. He's come home and I have just discovered he let the buyer pay with PayPal!! I am so cross with him. How long does the buyer have to claim that he hasn't received the item? When can I relax that we are not about to lose our money? I feel sick with worry.

19lottie82 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:41:18

It's 180 days afraid.........

Chances are it will be totally fine but you won't be able to totally relax until that periods over.

Your OH is a doofus!

karalime Sun 22-Jan-17 20:46:38

You can cancel it you know. Just refund the person and so say sorry it is no longer available or whatever.

You might get bad feedback, but it's worth it for such a high sum.

HeavenlyEyes Sun 22-Jan-17 20:48:21

have they collected the car? If not just refund and tell them you want cash

seven201 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:01:29

But surely the proof would be that the car is now owned by them, which shows under that vos thingy you have to send off when you sell or by a car. So even if they did try and say they didn't receive it you or Paypal could obtain proof from the dvla.

Bellabelloo Sun 22-Jan-17 21:03:08

Plus you have to pay fees!

HeavenlyEyes Sun 22-Jan-17 22:08:22

no it is not proof. PayPal is never safe for cars. No online proof of delivery. What do you think DVLA will do to help if buyer files a claim?

19lottie82 Sun 22-Jan-17 22:12:40

I'm taking it from the OP that the car is now gone as her husband let the buyer pay with PP then take the car?

19lottie82 Sun 22-Jan-17 22:15:20

seven..... heavenly is right, unfortunately that doesn't matter a hot. If the buyer claims the item (car) hasn't been received then they will ask the OP for proof of delivery which obv she can't provide, and then their money will be refunded.

HOWEVER if this was to happen (the chances are very slim), then the buck just doesn't stop with PayPal, there is the option of the small claims court and the ownership transfer could be used as evidence in that respect.

Burntbum Sun 22-Jan-17 22:17:51

180 days!! shock I thought it would probably be something like 30 days and then I could stop worrying. I'm so angry with him!

19lottie82 Sun 22-Jan-17 22:19:31

With eBay you have 30 days to open a case, but with PayPal it's 180 days.

The chances of the buyer pulling a fast one is miniscule but the risk is there, and as I said you always have the option of the small claims court if the u likely happens so try not to stress too much!

seven201 Sun 22-Jan-17 22:38:11

Oh I see confused. Op have you checked the buyers eBay rating, that might put your mind at ease a bit. Have they picked the car up? If they haven't yet get them to sign a dated receipt and maybe even take a photo of them in the car. Probably silly ideas though.

Gallavich Sun 22-Jan-17 22:44:22

Oh my god
That is one of the stupidest things I can think of. Is he as panicked as you?

Gallavich Sun 22-Jan-17 22:45:24

If they hadn't picked up the car she could just reverse the PayPal transaction. He has clearly allowed them to drive off with it!

19lottie82 Sun 22-Jan-17 23:33:00

seven the car has been picked up. Even if it hadn't then a signed receipt etc would make no difference to PayPal's policy's. again, you need to prove an item has been delivered!

ImaLannister Mon 23-Jan-17 07:05:47

If he paid cash you could have lied & cancelled the sale also, (informing the buyer of your clever tactic against eBay) even tho you wouldn't of cancelled it really. That way you avoid paying the £300 fee which your going to get. I did it when I sold my car, cash on collection then cancelled the sale through eBay, but buyer knew I didn't cancel it with him.
Not very helpful but another perk of cash on collection.
I would say cancel the sale on this and then refund and say cash on collection to the buyer, but the problem is he has your car. So there would be a danger if refunding him and him not returning in the car to pay cash to you.
I hope you got a genuine buyer, chances are you did and he probably won't be even aware of this paypal scam.
I wouldn't worry yourself.

witchmountain Mon 23-Jan-17 07:21:38

PayPal buyer protection doesn't cover cars or things that you have bought in person (presumably because there can be no proof of delivery). So in theory I don't think the buyer could open a case, or if they did you should be able to challenge it. Have a read of their site, but I think that's right.

HeavenlyEyes Mon 23-Jan-17 07:41:19

Vehicles are not covered for buyer or seller protection via eBay. So hopefully you will be ok - unless they do a chargeback with their card.

19lottie82 Mon 23-Jan-17 08:06:23

You're right there is no eBay protection but the buyer can still file against an unauthorised payment with PayPal, and force a refund.

Ima the OP wouldn't pay £300 fees for a car. I think the maximum is around £40 for that type of sale. It's not 10% like most eBay items....

ImaLannister Mon 23-Jan-17 08:10:59

Thanks Lottie surprisingly I didn't know that.
Good to know.
Still tho, could of saved any final value fee.
We learn something every day in the wonderful world of eBay! 😁

witchmountain Mon 23-Jan-17 09:46:55

Yes that's true about the unauthorised payment. If you're delivering something in person you have no PayPal seller protection so you should ask for ID and proof of signature and get them to sign to say they have received it.

The vast majority of people are honest though so fingers crossed!

19lottie82 Mon 23-Jan-17 09:51:57

Ima it's not fair to cancel sales for collection items.

I pay my fees, why shouldn't you?

Surely with any scenarios like this, the costs will be passed down to other eBay users?

HeavenlyEyes Mon 23-Jan-17 09:52:21

Witch ID and proof of signature is worthless and means absolutely nothing in the face of a not received claim.

witchmountain Mon 23-Jan-17 10:22:52

That sounds like the voice of bitter experience Heavenly, which I will certainly defer to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now