Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Seller wanting payment by PayPal , but we are collecting.

(12 Posts)
HeadfirstForHalos Sat 14-Jan-17 19:05:56

I've just won an auction for a Dutch dresser, it is collection only, which is fine, but I've messaged the seller asking if he would prefer cash on collection and he's replied that he'd prefer payment via PayPal in advance.
I have heard of the scam where buyers have paid via PayPal , collected the item, then requested and received a refund, but is this totally safe for the buyer? It just seems odd, I would want cash on collection and don't know why he wouldn't.
DH is collecting on Wednesday as we're not local and he's working that way , so it saves fuel. I don't use eBay for expensive purchases usually and don't want to get scammed smile

Mottlemoth Sat 14-Jan-17 19:08:58

The seller is being foolish and leaving themselves open into being scammed. But there is no risk to you.

SloanePeterson Sat 14-Jan-17 19:09:14

It might just be that he wants to know you're not going to let him down and not collect. There's no risk to you by paying with PayPal, it's far riskier for him as you could claim not to have the item and without a tracking number to prove delivery, he'd be forced to refund. He'll also have to take his fees out rather than just pocketing the cash. I expect he just wants to know you're serious about collecting it.

Whatkindofdayhasitbeen Sat 14-Jan-17 19:10:01

I would tell them you're not happy to send in advance but will happily PayPal on collection while your dh is still there. Should go through immediately

christinarossetti Sat 14-Jan-17 19:10:26

As a seller, he probably wants to ensure that the buyer is genuine enough to pay in advance.

I've always requested advance payment when selling items to be collected. It's an utter PITA waiting I'm for someone who doesn't turn up to collect.

If the item is faulty, you:d go through the usual eBay channels to obtain refund.

TrustySnail Sat 14-Jan-17 19:13:25

If the seller's feedback is OK, I don't think you have anything to worry about. As PPs have said, the greater risk lies with him.

HeadfirstForHalos Sat 14-Jan-17 19:23:13

Thanks everyone! I'm happy to pay before collection if it's safe to do so , which it sounds like it is. It makes sense to want to be sure a buyer will collect, although personally I wouldn't risk it. Lucky for him I'm not a scammer grin Just checked his feedback too and it's 100% on over 600 items, most as a buyer but a few as a seller , it all seems good.

nauticant Sun 15-Jan-17 13:23:33

You paying by Paypal is fine. Make sure your DH understands that he needs to carefully inspect the item before taking it away.

HeavenlyEyes Sun 15-Jan-17 17:22:14

seller is silly and leaving themselves wide open to an unscrupulous buyer ripping them off and they risk losing their item and money.

Feedback is pretty irrelevant here - their fb won't show if a buyer has scammed them.

HeadfirstForHalos Wed 18-Jan-17 00:52:57

Thanks. I will tell him to check it thoroughly. He's picking it up tomorrow. I did pay via PayPal on Saturday , the seller messaged me his details and phone number so dh can ring him with a more precise time after his meeting finishes , he does seem genuine.

HeadfirstForHalos Wed 18-Jan-17 00:55:55

I think he's being silly too, dh could collect it and then we could deny having it and go for a refund! Not that we would but there are plenty that would.

user1484780023 Wed 18-Jan-17 23:03:28

The risk lies with the seller really as he is asking for Paypal. It's up to him if he wants to take the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now