Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Help me write a refusing a refund message, item doesn't fit

(10 Posts)
queenofthebucket Thu 12-Jan-17 17:05:20

I need advice how to word a message saying just that.
The item (knee length boots) doesn't fit the buyer.
I don't want to refund as it clearly stated the circumference of the top of the boot in the description and also that I don't accept returns.
I am a private seller and have all good feedback - Ive never had a request before and wonder would anyone help me with how to put this?
Thanks

starsinyourpies Thu 12-Jan-17 17:08:56

I think the distance selling regulations mean you would need to honour this but maybe best to look at eBay help pages?

goldangel Thu 12-Jan-17 17:12:55

Fwiw I would just accept the return, buyer pays return costs, if she submits a return request through eBay you will be refunded all fees. Other option is to seek advise with eBay. I had communication problems with an unhappy buyer and it ended up affecting my 100% feedback for months...

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 12-Jan-17 17:16:34

Just state that the boots are as described, which included the calf circumference, and that you don't offer refunds. Screenshot the original description and include that.

Assuming that you're an individual just selling an wanted pair of boots, you should be fine. If you were a retail seller it would make sense to offer returns.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 12-Jan-17 17:16:37

Just state that the boots are as described, which included the calf circumference, and that you don't offer refunds. Screenshot the original description and include that.

Assuming that you're an individual just selling an wanted pair of boots, you should be fine. If you were a retail seller it would make sense to offer returns.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 12-Jan-17 17:16:42

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 12-Jan-17 17:16:45

TrustySnail Thu 12-Jan-17 17:18:33

If you're registered as a private seller, you don't have to honour returns unless the item is significantly not as described. Depending on the value of the item, though, you might want to consider this as a goodwill gesture (asking buyer to pay return postage) - otherwise you might find your feedback affected, or the buyer might then try to claim the item is damaged.

Has the buyer said it's the circumference that's the issue - rather than 'these were described as a size 6 but they measure as a 5'?

If it's the circumference, and you definitely want to refuse, I would say more or less what you've said above - 'the circumference was clearly stated in my advert, so unfortunately, as a private seller, I can't accept a return for this reason'.

lljkk Thu 12-Jan-17 18:03:18

"I'm sorry that the boots aren't a good fit. I clearly stated the top circumference in the advert, which I am sure was very accurate, and I don't think it's fair to ask me to pay for return postage if they turn out not to fit you. I hope you understand. I believe you have a good chance of getting the money back if you sell them on and I don't mind if you reuse all the parts of my Ebay listing."

Best you can hope for is to prick their conscience. Ebay can probably force a return if they are very bolshy about it.

19lottie82 Thu 12-Jan-17 18:45:10

If you don't want to accept the return just reply and politely state that the measurements were detailed in the listing, and as a private seller, you don't accept returns for items that don't fit.
Add that they are welcome to use your original photos and description, should they wish to resell them on eBay.

Be prepared for negative feedback tho. That's always a risk you take when you refuse a non fault return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now