Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyers not happy with item ... return advice please

(19 Posts)
PollysPoppy Wed 04-Jan-17 09:13:27

I sold some kids clothes at the end of November. Items were all listed as returns not accepted.

Buyer has got in contact (yesterday) to say she's unhappy with one item. I wasn't aware of the problem - my listing highlighted a snag in the stitching but this is unrelated. However, don't want hassle or bad reviews so have offered to refund her but told her to initiate it through eBay.

A couple of questions ....will the listing allow her to request a return/refund given my default no returns setting? I can't see a way to change this. If not, would she be best going through the eBay guarantee or paypal? I'd like the item back. I don't see why she should get her money back and get to keep,it!

Thanks.

nauticant Wed 04-Jan-17 11:03:22

However, don't want hassle or bad reviews so have offered to refund her but told her to initiate it through eBay - this is sensible.

Forget about "returns not accepted". It's not really helpful if the situation is "item not as described". Although I personally don't mind keeping it as a default.

I find ebay cases slightly easier to deal with as a seller than Paypal ones.

Was the item in question sold as a listing for a single item or was the listing for a bundle?

19lottie82 Wed 04-Jan-17 11:33:55

"No Returns" only applies to change of mind returns, ie just don't like it or doesn't fit, NOT faulty / misdescribed items, so it wouldn't be applicable in this situation I'm afraid.

If the item the buyer is complaining about was part of a bundle then it may be worth offering them a partial refund to close the return request and save any hassle, you won't however get the item back. Otherwise your only option will be to take the whole bundle back, and refund in full.

If it's an individual item you can also offer a partial refund, but as you've said you would like the item back then yes, ask her to open an official return request through ebay, and you will refund her once the item is returned.

However be aware that whenever you accept a return for a faulty item you are responsible for the return postage. In order to process the return ebay will get you to agree to purchase a returns label @ £2.99, this will then be forwarded to the buyer and when they use it, the cost will be added on to your monthly invoice for your sellers fee.

PollysPoppy Wed 04-Jan-17 12:39:15

Thanks both. It wasn't part of a bundle. I've done as you suggested and asked her to open a request through eBay. Cheers!

robin64 Wed 04-Jan-17 15:17:08

er quite a long time before she asked about this, why did she wait over a month to mention not happy?

robin64 Wed 04-Jan-17 15:17:45

Are you sure they have not worn item then want to return - I have had this happen.

Patriciathestripper1 Wed 04-Jan-17 15:22:17

Ask her to send the item back recorded delivery then once received you can send her the Money.
As you stated on eBay no returns make sure you tell the buyer you are doing this out of kindness to them.
To be honest unless the item they received was badly damaged or totally not as described them really it's not your fault.

19lottie82 Wed 04-Jan-17 15:23:17

Sorry OP, I've just noticed the item was sold in November, I'm terrible for skim reading and not taking in all the facts.

You're under no obligation to accept a return at this point. A return request through ebay will be just that, a "request" only (even if the item is faulty), ebay won't get involved.

However it's up to you whether you do or not. If you don't you do risk negative feedback.

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Wed 04-Jan-17 15:28:37

If it's gone over 30 days since sale, she won't be able to initiate a return/refund through eBay will she?

AveEldon Wed 04-Jan-17 15:28:49

If it's over 30 days then the buyer is too late

nauticant Wed 04-Jan-17 16:34:26

Of course, if a case hasn't yet been opened it's likely to be out of time for ebay:

A buyer must request a return no later than 30 days after the actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or, if the seller's return window is longer, within the return window.

The available time is longer on Paypal so OP I'd not mention Paypal to the buyer:

You have 180 days from the date you made the payment to open a dispute.

PollysPoppy Wed 04-Jan-17 19:10:41

Thanks. She said she will try the eBay return request. It's a down jacket and the issue is that there are places where the down is patchy or else lumpy I wasn't aware of any problem with it - wouldn't have listed it if that was the case. Shall see what happens. Apparently she was abroad which us why it's taken this long.

I haven't listed kids clothes in quite a few years. Last time they sold quickly for great prices. This time it's hardly worth it. Need a new home for outgrown Boden etc!

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 04-Jan-17 19:15:36

She's probably washed it and it will go lumpy unless it's tumble dried. Suggest she sticks it in the drier on cool with a couple of tennis balls.

PollysPoppy Wed 04-Jan-17 19:36:12

I wonder? I'll know when I see it because I washed it before I listed it and it looked OK to me.

MikeUniformMike Thu 05-Jan-17 20:17:08

I've just had a return request. Buyer says Item doesn't fit and is not genuine.
Ebay suggest various options: Accept the return... Decline the return.
AFAIK the item was genuine but I did think the sizing ran a little small which is why I listed it.
The buyer was a PITA sending lots of barely literate messages along the lines of 'can you send it first thing tomorrow'.
I don't mind running the risk of bad feedback.
What do you suggest?

19lottie82 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:22:37

It's entirely up to you. As already discussed you're under no obligation to accept the return at this stage.

If you have a high feedback score with none or few non positives, and you're happy to risk the chance of a negative then just decline it.

You say "as far as you know" the jacket is genuine..... so you're not sure? This doesn't make a difference however, the buyer should have checked the jacket out when it arrived rather than waiting 2 months.

19lottie82 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:24:33

Sorry i got confused....... I thought this was the OP, but it isn't, unless a new username?
mike if you didn't start this thread please start your own one within the eBay board to avoid confusion smile

MikeUniformMike Fri 06-Jan-17 11:46:58

Sorry, my fault. I added my query to an existing thread as they seemed similar. The buyer has e-mailed me to say she's returning the item but I haven't accepted or declined the return. I don't particularly mind if it comes back but I don't want to refund. Should I let the
buyer send it back and then not refund or just decline the return immediately?

MikeUniformMike Fri 06-Jan-17 12:23:23

I have now created a different thread. Thanks, MUM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now