Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Item dispatched from London - yeah right!

(19 Posts)
Masketti Wed 14-Dec-16 08:28:27

I've had problems with buying items that are crappy knock offs from China so I've started searching using item location filter 'In United Kingdom only'. Except I've just been stung for Paw Patrol AND My Little Pony toys which when you click through to seller details say 'In China' or 'In Hong Kong'. Neither item has arrived by the expected delivery date so I've opened a case asking for a refund, partly because I know they'll be knock off crap fit for the bin if they ever do arrive. If my youngest was the 3 year old it might be OK but I've got an 18 month old who still puts everything in her mouth.

How can I alert Ebay to this misrepresentation? The sellers argue because the item is 'dispatched by Royal Mail when it arrives in the UK' it's not a misleading listing. But the tracking number doesn't work for RM only the international shipping agent they've used.

19lottie82 Wed 14-Dec-16 10:23:25

This is against eBay rules, but unfortunately, in real life, eBay are unlikely to do this, even if you report the seller.

As you ave learned even the UK location filter can still let Chinese sellers through the net. It's useful to look at the estimated delivery date. If it's more than a week, then chances are they're not actually based in the UK. Also, scan to the bottom of the listing and it should have a name and address, look at this too, for hints they may not be Uk based.

Remember to leave factual feedback, and open cases if you feel the item is not described / doesn't arrive. However don't open a case based on the reason that the item came from outside the UK, as you will lose. eBay won't get involved in disputes like this.

Masketti Wed 14-Dec-16 12:28:14

The delivery times were perfectly reasonable so I didn't spot the signs. I can't see any where to report the sellers to ebay. Their feedback screams knock off crap. Why do you think ebay aren't interested? Just curious not being antagonistic.

The items haven't arrived so that's the basis I'm working on. There's no way they could have arrived in time from China.

19lottie82 Wed 14-Dec-16 12:35:32

Why do you think ebay aren't interested?

Because they are paying their seller fees.

19lottie82 Wed 14-Dec-16 12:37:03

PS How overdue are the items and when did you order them?

Bizarrely enough eBay don't take into consideration Christmas postal delays when providing delivery estimates, which is very frustrating for both sellers and buyers.

Masketti Wed 14-Dec-16 14:19:16

Ordered 30th November. Expected 7-9 December.

That's true but I've decided to source them totally not on ebay so to an extent they've lost future fees. There's no way to report it so that tells me it's not of interest.

19lottie82 Wed 14-Dec-16 16:07:45

Yes, it would have expected it to be here by now. Just proceed with the not received case and escalate it as soon as you get the chance.

CointreauVersial Sat 17-Dec-16 01:09:03

I was about to buy something this evening; the listing stated location "London" but I hesitated just before pressing the Buy button when I suddenly noticed the seller was called "Hong Kong Trading" or something similar. Then, of course, when I read the feedback, loads of people have complained about the long shipping time from China.

But how can they be allowed to say location "London" when it quite clearly isn't?!

Cagliostro Sat 17-Dec-16 01:24:26

It baffles me that sellers can do this! I'd never noticed it until last month when I ordered a present for DSD. It was an item I'd never be able to get in the UK so I took the risk, a friend assured me it'd be easy to open a case etc and I took screenshots of where it said UK etc. Wasn't needed in the end as it actually arrived really quickly and it's a great item. But I probably wouldn't make a habit of it - worth it this time for DSD's face when she opens it!

19lottie82 Sat 17-Dec-16 09:13:51

cag your friend was wrong, you would never win a case based on the item not being in the U.K. as long as it's "as described" and arrives.

schmack Sat 17-Dec-16 09:21:30

I bought loads of stuff from chin athis year on eBay (mainly Pokémon's stuff that you can't get here). I noticed it's getting much quicker now to get stuff from China. All my stuff arrived in a week or two and quality was fine.

Was for older kids though, agree about tiddlers and putting stuff in their mouth.

Cagliostro Sat 17-Dec-16 16:17:22

Thanks lottie she meant if the item didn't arrive smile that I would be able to open a case easily (no experience of all that myself)

Masketti Sat 17-Dec-16 23:47:46

Well they've arrived and as expected they're knock off shit quality. DH had been to Argos to get a couple just in case and as you'd expect the quality is vastly different. Rarity's wings have got really sharp edges. Do you think that's enough to claim 'item not as described'?

19lottie82 Mon 19-Dec-16 11:55:01

Hi OP - Did you have to sign for the package? If not, then tbh I'd just proceed with the not received claim. You will get your money back either way, and this will just save time / opening a new case.

If you did sign for it, then yes, open a not as described case. The buyer may say you have to send it back at your own expense (not true), or offer a partial refund, both accompanied with total sob stories - tell them to issue you a pre paid returns label, they won't do this so you'll need to ask ebay to step in and help. They'll tell then to send you a returns label, they still won't. Eventually ebay will refund your money, but the whole thing will take a while, hence my previous suggestion.

Masketti Mon 19-Dec-16 22:45:07

They were Royal Mail tracked but no I didn't sign for them. They're just really shit and it makes me sad thinking about giving her that tat.

MyWineTime Mon 19-Dec-16 22:58:38

cag your friend was wrong, you would never win a case based on the item not being in the U.K. as long as it's "as described" and arrives.
But if it doesn't arrive within the time frame it says it will, then they DO refund. I ordered an item 20th Nov that stated it was in the UK, delivery 5-7 days. It didn't arrive by the 27th so I queried it. The reply made me think that they were not in the UK - they asked me to wait, I didn't want to because I didn't trust them. I opened a dispute, explained the lie about the item location and was given a refund within a couple of days. The item eventually arrived mid-December.
Ebay don't like sellers lying to their customers.

tooclosetocall Mon 19-Dec-16 23:13:03

Open a dispute for item not as described.

You might have to upload photos for your case but what have you got to lose. I opened an eBay dispute for that reason. I uploaded a few photos and had the option of agreeing to a replacement or a refund.
I got my refund.

MadisonAvenue Mon 19-Dec-16 23:22:44

I've got an ongoing case. I bought an item from the UK, supposedly mailed by Royal Mail 24, which didn't arrive by the estimated date. I contacted the seller who sent me a tracking number for a courier called Winit. It's something to do with Chinese sellers holding stock in the UK and having this Winit ship it out for them. Something like that anyway. The item wouldn't track with Winit so they sent me a copy and paste of the info they had and Winit apparently passed it onto Yodel who claimed that they'd delivered it through our letterbox. Dickhead clueless seller told me to take it up with Royal Mail.

tooclosetocall Mon 19-Dec-16 23:24:36

I won a dispute for an item not sent from the UK. It clearly stated in the sellers postage, returns & payments that they were a 'U.K. seller' (if they were UK based, why send stock out from China ffs). The seller asked me to wait a while longer for delivery. I suspected they are stalling hmm. They shot themselves in the foot that time and I got my refund.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now