Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer saying parcel not delivered....

(15 Posts)
spydie Tue 29-Nov-16 10:58:25

Oh here we go....why I generally never sell on e-bay!!!

I sold an item last week, posted myhermes with signature on delivery and item is recorded as being delivered with customer signature yesterday. My buyer has been in touch to say they come home to a note through their door saying parcel left on doorstep, and that the parcel is not there....

I've raised with hermes who are having their investigations team look at it...but I understand since it's showing as delivered I'm no longer entitled to any compensation from them. Next stop try and speak to ebay.... just concerned I'm going to have to refund the buyer.

I have asked buyer to email me a photo of the delivery note and to check with neighbours, look on their back doorstep if applicable....

Anyone been through similar and have any advice?

WeAreEternal Tue 29-Nov-16 11:08:27

As you have proof of delivery you would win an item not received case.

I would chase it up with my Hermes though as if they have left it on the doorstep that's unsecured and they should be held accountable for it.

spydie Tue 29-Nov-16 11:15:42

I just phoned ebay who said I'm not liable....phew.

Yes chased it up already with hermes.... so we shall see where that ends up....

wowfudge Tue 29-Nov-16 11:16:49

Have you asked myhermes to email you the proof of delivery so you can see what the signature looks like?

19lottie82 Tue 29-Nov-16 11:36:57

Hermes are a bit renowned for this TBH. Still as advised by eBay you're not liable as long as the tracking info shows the parcel as delivered.

Upload the tracking number against the sales record, if you haven't already.

I'd keep on at Hermes stating the parcel has not been delivered. If you persue it they should pay out compensation, but you will need t chase them. You can then use this to refund the buyer so you aren't left out of pocket.......... assuming the level of insurance selected covered the item cost, that is.

You don't need to do this but it's the decent thing to do IMO.

NotAPuffin Tue 29-Nov-16 11:48:23

It wasn't 'delivered with customer signature' if they left it on the doorstep.

spydie Tue 29-Nov-16 11:53:19

Will ask for the proof of delivery, good idea.

Tracking number already uploaded. Yes, level of insurance is adequate. Will try and keep on at hermes but already spent most of my morning looking into all of this, waiting on the phone etc etc. Nightmare!! Buyer hasn't come back to me yet either....

spydie Tue 29-Nov-16 11:57:50

notapuffin well clearly not but right not I can only take their word for it. I've asked that they send a photo of the note that was left, and assuming they do will use this to contest with hermes. But still waiting for them to respond.

SloanePeterson Tue 29-Nov-16 12:01:55

Tbh I can quite believe this has happened exactly as the buyer has said. I bought new uggs a few weeks ago and they were delivered by Hermes. I paid for next day delivery but they didn't show, I came home the next day to a note saying they were in my secure front porch. I don't have a front porch hmm Hermes did investigate and the most likely thing is that they were left in my front step and stolen. The company posted me out a new pair no problem but that's obviously not an option for you. I sell some things on eBay and would only ever send via Royal Mail tracked. Never had anything to missing, whereas yodel, Hermes and the companies who basically subcontract individual drivers are known for it.

spydie Tue 29-Nov-16 12:49:18

I just hope hermes pay up..... it's no skin off my nose if they do and I can then refund the buyer and not be left out of pocket combined with no longer having the item. I'll just be gutted if ebay or PayPal make me refund and I don't get compensation.

It's not a vast sum of money but I'm on my last, unpaid stretch of maternity leave so not exactly flushed with cash!

I'm sure the buyer is reporting it truthfully, but I wouldn't be surprised if the less than honest would try to pull a fast one when they receive a parcel left only with a note when the label clearly says signature required.

Haha I have had a nightmare with RM in the past yet never any issues with hermes. Way it goes I suppose, folk only ever report the bad bits...

nauticant Tue 29-Nov-16 14:19:23

The last time I had one of these I thought it was likely Hermes had left the package on the doorstep and it had disappeared. The buyer panicked, opened a case against me which they lost (because there was an online "delivered" notification), and then left nasty feedback which I had ebay remove (because I'd won the case).

I followed up with Hermes. They refunded me £25 and I refunded the full amount of £60 to the buyer because I thought that if they were right I was willing to take a £30 hit rather than leaving them with no item and no refund. Also it was Christmas and thought I would be kind.

ImaLannister Tue 29-Nov-16 14:46:36

Does the tracking say it was delivered & signed for? As in according to tracking does the status say delivered then shows the signature? If this is the case then you win hands down. Because the transaction is done. You won't have to pay anything.
You need to be weary of buying customers potentially lying. To try and get freebies. Not all buyers are good ones. Always check the tracking status.

19lottie82 Tue 29-Nov-16 14:50:41

Don't worry, ebay / paypal will rule in your favour, as long as you upload the tracking details which show the parcel as delivered.

Chasing the compo from Hermes to give to the customer is just a goodwill gesture in these circumstances.

Yes, there are some dodgy buyers out there, but with hermes I think the chances are a LOT higher that the courier has made a mistake than a buyer trying to pull a fast one.

ImaLannister Tue 29-Nov-16 15:01:42

Agreed smile

nauticant Tue 29-Nov-16 15:43:18

Once I start thinking that ebay is full of thieves it makes my selling a very dispiriting experience. I prefer to keep an eye on what kind of impact refunds are having on my profits and so long as it's down to a percent or two, not letting myself get too wound up about refunding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now