Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer wants me to cancel

(8 Posts)
HerdofAntilop Mon 21-Nov-16 22:38:17

Hi, newbie eBay seller here and need some guidance. I sold a Christmas jumper on Friday for £7. The buyer has now messaged and said she can't afford it after all and asked me to cancel. I've googled hour to do and can't make out whether it's better to cancel or to start a case for non-payment. As it's a Christmas item I'm tempted to open a case because it'll close automatically after 4 days if she doesn't respond and she's taken all weekend to let me know in the first place. What would you recommend?

robin64 Tue 22-Nov-16 00:20:36

Probably just easier to cancel the transaction and block the buyer then re list straight away so you might get to sell it again quickly. Follow the cancellation instructions - make sure you select buyer requested the cancellation and you will get a fee refund. Very annoying when this happens, luckily not too often.

19lottie82 Tue 22-Nov-16 08:17:07

Personally I take no mercy with people that "change their mind". You can't afford it? Tough titties you time waster!

OK you can't force them to pay but hopefully a non payment case will make them think more carefully in the future.

Also the funny thing is a lot of them say they don't want it then if you put in a cancellation request they just ignore it! This then takes a week to time out, longer than a non payment case angry

So yeah, it's always a non payment case for me out of principle.

HerdofAntilop Tue 22-Nov-16 13:03:13

One each way! Clearly not a clear cut decision then. Thanks.

19lottie82 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:00:27

It's your own decision OP. If I feel the winning bidder has a genuine reason for wanting to cancel, then I consider a cancellation but otherwise the "I can't afford it" or "my 4 year old bought it" brigade get hit with a non payment case!

viques Tue 22-Nov-16 14:04:49

Just cancel and block. easier and done with. Still time to relist and sell.

19lottie82 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:19:14

Not if the buyer ignores the cancellation request, which in my experience they often do, despite asking to cancel in the first place.

previously1474907171 Thu 24-Nov-16 17:18:03

Opening a non-payment case might make them pay, but they might also open a case for not as described when they receive it, or claim not received unless you send it tracked.

Do some digging and check their feedback left for others, look for false positives and have a quick Google on their name/username if you have the time to spare. I have done this in the past with problem buyers, but then I waste a lot of time on Google anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now