This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Why do sellers always tell you they're selling because they've lost weight?!

(19 Posts)
Familyfrolicks Wed 16-Nov-16 19:20:34

I saw a skirt I liked on eBay yesterday but when I read the description the seller had written that she was selling it because she had lost 5 stone. Firstly, I don't care. Secondly, I might be a bit overweight but I do not have 5 stone to lose. Thirdly, the key to selling something is not to make a potential buyer feel totally shit about themselves. I know, they're just smug about it, but I'm not bidding on that skirt now because I just feel fat!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 16-Nov-16 19:23:01

I agree its a bit smug, but maybe it also suggests that the clothes would still be in use, were it not for this. Ie, they're not worn-out!

ThisPasadenaHomemaker Wed 16-Nov-16 19:23:24

Because weight loss is one of the main reasons people clear out their wardrobe and list on eBay.

Because they want to assure potential buyers that there's nothing wrong with the item, it just doesn't fit anymore.

You're being a tad oversensitive imo. If you like it and it's your size, buy it.

lljkk Wed 16-Nov-16 19:51:09

it's not about you, it's about the item.

Foxyspook Wed 16-Nov-16 19:53:00

I usually say because I've gained weight to make potential buyers feel flattered!

lljkk Wed 16-Nov-16 19:56:12

but Foxy could be lying. Maybe the weight loser sellers are lying because they wish it was true they lost weight but they actually gained 200 lbs. Or someone owned the item but died. Or immigrated.. or decided to go into a convent or went trans...

Familyfrolicks Wed 16-Nov-16 19:59:10

Exactly Foxyspook that's much kinder 😃 And also more likely to secure a sale!

JustSpeakSense Wed 16-Nov-16 20:05:19

foxyspook I'd buy from you just for your honesty!

I also get the 'selling because I've lost weight' very annoying.

'Nearly new, hardly worn' will suffice hmm

Autumnchill Wed 16-Nov-16 20:13:56

Ha, I've put that I've finally given up trying to slim into them so selling grin

SealSong Wed 16-Nov-16 20:16:59

It's the 'worn once' that gets me. 99% of stuff on ebay is described as worn once...just not possible.

lljkk Wed 16-Nov-16 21:27:19

definitely a post-truth selling environment

GrumpyOldBag Thu 17-Nov-16 16:06:15

I have just listed something on eBay that was only worn once. Something DS bought to wear to a party.

ByeByeLilSebastian Thu 17-Nov-16 16:10:06

You're being very over sensitive.
Just because they have lost weight it doesn't mean they think you, a random stranger on the Internet should do too.

chemicalCat Wed 23-Nov-16 11:18:29

I've seen "selling because it no longer fits" which could mean either gaining or losing weight.

I'd have preferred "selling because it's ridiculously short and your arse will be on show half the time" for a purchase I made a while back! (Although I wouldn't have bid, so easy to see why!)

ShowMeTheElf Wed 23-Nov-16 11:22:00

..because as an excuse for selling it sounds better than' I wore it once and realized that it is very unflattering, unfashionable and isn't particularly good quality'.

JaceLancs Tue 29-Nov-16 00:07:04

I put sadly no longer fits on my listings as it is true and doesn't offend anyone - sometimes I have lost weight other times have gained
Of course things sometimes only get worn once for all sorts of reasons
I'm always honest in my listings have been selling stuff on eBay for over 15 years and have 100% positive feedback
My mantra is not to sell anything I wouldn't buy myself and describe clearly with good accurate photos

InTheKitchenAtParties Tue 29-Nov-16 00:22:45

Oooooo you lost 5 stone???
Good for you!!!
Smug bitch grin

Sexykitten2005 Thu 08-Dec-16 22:59:00

Because if you say you've gained weight as I buyer I would wonder if the item was stretched and not true to size anymore. I've got jeans that are definitely a size bigger then the label because I'm squeezed into them.

rollonthesummer Thu 29-Dec-16 13:25:34

Because if you put 'selling because it doesn't fit' the buyer would wonder if it
comes up really small or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now