Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Changing from tracked postage to dropping off at person's home?

(7 Posts)
ShmooBooMoo Sat 22-Oct-16 16:41:13

Sold a coat on Ebay. Buyer contacted first to ask about collecting as they are in the same city. I was cautious so politely said no and insisted on Paypal and sending tracked (£13 but I've only charged £10). I haven't sent yet as she won Fri evening.
I felt a bit mean as the buyer has great feedback and I've no reason to believe she is anything other than reasonable/ honest. The seller paid immediately by Paypal.
My friend has said he could drop the coat as he will be in the area on Monday. If he did this I would give the buyer her tenner back (and I know it would def reach her and not have the chance of being lost in transit) but I'm wary now as I have heard horror stories of people later filing non-receipt of items via Paypal.
Should I leave things as they are and send tracked or take my friend up on the offer (he is 100% trustworthy)? If I do the latter, is there any way to safeguard against a reversal or claim of non-receipt from the buyer? Thanks
I've not said anything to buyer.

19lottie82 Sat 22-Oct-16 22:41:45

If you send by anything but I tracked method you are forfeiting your seller protection, it's as simple as that.

Getting the buyer to sign a note saying they have recieved it etc won't make a difference.

It's up to you though. How much did she pay for the coat?

£13 cost seems a lot for tracked postage. Is the coat very expensive to insure / heavy?

19lottie82 Sat 22-Oct-16 22:42:49

PS if you sell something to someone them having 100% feedback means nothing, as you can't leave anything but positive FB for a buyer.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 22-Oct-16 22:43:11

No, send by post. Ebay and PayPal may not pay or in the event of any dispute if delivery is not via post or courier.

millymae Sat 22-Oct-16 22:45:46

Too late now OP but I would have allowed her to collect, and reinvoiced her for collect in person with postage knocked off and cash on collection.
This way you wouldn't have been charged eBay fees on the postage

I'm not sure about someone dropping the item off for you, no matter how trustworthy they are. Would a time for drop of be agreed beforehand? and if not, what would happen to the item if your buyer wasn't home.?

In your shoes I think I would be tempted just to leave things as they stand. Whatever you decide now you'll be paying fees on your postage.

ShmooBooMoo Sun 23-Oct-16 18:38:05

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the replies. Yep, 19lottie82 the coat sold for £125 plus £10 postage, not a huge amount but apparently sending RM signed for only insures up to £50 , whereas Parcelforce insures up to £100. Still wouldn't cover the coat in case of loss but better than £50 and I'm not sure anyway how much less RM Signed For would cost. I'm paying £3.00 of the postage anyway since PF charge £12.98. not ten, then there are the fees, as you said. Never mind. Thanks so much for the helpful advice (I had no idea you couldn't leave neg feedback for a buyer...I buy more than I sell, as you can probably tell! smile
Thanks, VivienneWestwoodsKnickers smile
Millymae Yep, you're probably right. I suppose as I don't sell much and am a worrywart by nature I erred on the side of caution. There is more chance of my friend delivering properly than PF to be honest grin but you're right, I'll leave things as they stand now. I just hope she doesn't leave feedback stating I was unreasonable.
Thanks all! smile

HeavenlyEyes Sun 23-Oct-16 18:50:53

Special delivery or courier would be required.

But if dropping off or buyer collecting it has to be cash only - never, ever PayPal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now