Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Bid higher price for item won for 0.01p

(12 Posts)
Whoopydoo Mon 10-Oct-16 20:06:11

Hi I bid a few pounds for an item and won for 0.01p? I need to pay and should I just pay a higher amount. I have to collect this item. Thank you

Sexykitten2005 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:56:01

When I won a sofa for 99p I took the money and also a bottle of wine and box of chocolates. The person who sold said they started it low as they just wanted it gone and so didn't want the money but she seemed grateful for the wine and chocs.
You don't have to pay more than 1p but I think it's a nice thing to do and made me feel less stingy handing over 99p for a sofa

BikeRunSki Mon 10-Oct-16 21:00:36

Ivasdjme you mean £0.01, rather than 0.01p. Just pay the penny. Starting the bidding that low, I suspect the seller just wanted rid.

19lottie82 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:01:19

When you put in a bid, it's a maximum bid. No one else bid against you, so you got the item for the starting price which was 1p.

If someone else came along and bid £1.99, then your bid of £2 (or whatever), would kick in.

lucy101101 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:04:40

it's so hard to say without telling us what it is. However, when I have won something and felt it was just too cheap I have often sent them something extra by Paypal...

OlennasWimple Mon 10-Oct-16 21:07:00

I won something for 5p once - when I went to collect it the buyer just gave it to me, as she had wanted it gone to a good home. I felt bad, but then that's how the system works - if the seller didn't want to sell for 1p, they should have put a minimum price / reserve on it.

Whoopydoo Mon 10-Oct-16 22:35:28

Thanks all. Sexy kitten Like the idea of chocs and wine. Lucy It is a headboard. Bikerunski Yes bulky items are a bit of a pain to shift. Think I will pay the penny and can always pay extra via PayPal. but agreed Lottie and Olenna you need to set a reserve to avoid this.

FlabulousChic Sun 16-Oct-16 18:51:07

Cash only for a collection item the seller is not protected when you pay via PayPal

FlabulousChic Sun 16-Oct-16 18:51:40

Reserves can only be set for £50 plus in the uk site

AndNowItsSeven Sun 16-Oct-16 18:52:45

I doubt the seller cares about protection for 1p!

smileyhappypeople Sun 16-Oct-16 18:56:57

Someone I know sold something once on eBay for something daft like £2.73.,, the buyer brought £3 and then stood waiting for 5 mins while my friend raided the kids money boxes for the 27p change! Haha. If you think it's worth it then give them a fiver or something but you're not obliged. I would feel hugely tight handing over 1p, then again the seller probably feels as silly accepting it lol

19lottie82 Sun 16-Oct-16 19:32:50

smiley ha ha I'd tell them I didn't have change but id hold the item when they went to the shop a mile up the road to get the exact change!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now