Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What can I do if a signed for delivery goes missing?

(17 Posts)
verystressedmum Mon 03-Oct-16 13:56:44

I sold something and sent it first class signed for delivery on Friday, so should have arrived Saturday but the buyer messaged me that it didn't. It could still turn up today (fingers are crossed) but what can I do if it doesn't dies anyone know?

I can't claim compensation as it was jewellery and it's only insured if it is sent special delivery, and the price of posting it special wasn't worthwhile. It did cross my mind to send it special delivery but it would have brought my profit down by £5 and it was quite tight anyway, also I've NEVER had a signed for go missing..in fact I post 250-300 items a month and have only had about 5 people say their items haven't arrived! Not to say it can't happen but that's why I didn't send tracked.

I looked on Royal Mail site but there's no information as to whether it's been delivered/in the sorting office etc but it takes a while for the information to be uploaded anyway.

So if it goes missing and doesn't get a signature or other info, I'll just have to refund?
Hoping beyond hope it arrives today...

heatherwithapee Mon 03-Oct-16 14:00:36

First class often takes 2 days these days. Don't panic yet!

19lottie82 Mon 03-Oct-16 14:22:18

First class is in no way guaranteed to arrive the next working day, especially if it was sent on a Saturday.

You will need to ask the buyer to wait a little longer as there is no way you can. Declare an item as "lost" at this stage.

Keep an eye on the tracking. If it's not there at the end of the week, then start to worry.

19lottie82 Mon 03-Oct-16 14:24:23

PS yes, if it does end up being lost, then you should refund buyer ASAP. But make sure they open a not received case first.

I'd allow a week after posting first class before decdidobg an item is indeed lost. RM states longer with that but unfortunately eBay doesn't work that way.

smilingeyes11 Mon 03-Oct-16 19:17:01

you can't do anything. Always send adequately insured. Tbh the buyer may have the item but if the postie didn't bother with a signature then you will have to swallow that loss. How much was it? This is why I always recommend Hermes and never Royal Mail.

verystressedmum Mon 03-Oct-16 22:51:56

Thanks, still no info on website why is it taking so long and has it been delivered?!

Special delivery is just too expensive I wouldn't be able to sell anything if I had to post it by that, so I go for signed for which isn't insured but it stops buyers saying item not arrived and having to refund them, and generally it always turns up.
The aim for first class signed for is next day delivery but this time it's obviously not met it's aim. Posted Friday it always gets delivered on Saturday usually.

The total sale price was £35 so that's what I'd have to refund. Not the largest amount in the world, there would be no compensation so I'd be a bit disappointed to lose the money plus my items!

I'll just wait and see haven't heard from the buyer so maybe it's turned up,,,

PoppyPicklesPenguin Mon 03-Oct-16 22:55:38

I thought signed for was insured up to £50 or something?

19lottie82 Mon 03-Oct-16 23:53:58

poppy certain items are excluded, inc jewellery, which is what the OP sent.

Meadows76 Tue 04-Oct-16 00:02:15

Even special delivery on a Friday doesn't guarantee Saturday delivery, it's Monday.

smilingeyes11 Tue 04-Oct-16 00:30:39

so try a courier instead of Special Delivery?

19lottie82 Tue 04-Oct-16 00:35:25

meadows, yes it does, you just need to pay a premium for Saturday delivery.

Meadows76 Tue 04-Oct-16 00:42:16

19lottie82 sorry dodnthe bit where I said special delivery pass you by? Not special delivery with a premium, just good old regular special delivery I was chatting about

19lottie82 Tue 04-Oct-16 07:43:31

Meadows, nope, it don't "pass me by". hmmI am talking about "good old special delivery", there's just a different rate if you want it delivered on a Saturday that's all.

You said special delivery doesn't guarantee delivery on a Saturday. Well you're wrong, it does. It's just priced accordingly, that's all.

Meadows76 Tue 04-Oct-16 08:05:19

You said special delivery doesn't guarantee delivery on a Saturday. Well you're wrong, it does. It's just priced accordingly, that's all. exactly my point. Plain old special delivery does NOT guarantee Saturday delivery. You have to pay extra. So not JUST special delivery.

Queenbean Tue 04-Oct-16 08:10:03

Is Hermes ever cheaper that Royal Mail? Or a courier? I'd have thought they were both way more expensive?

smilingeyes11 Tue 04-Oct-16 08:16:14

I always use Hermes - I find them cheaper than RM

verystressedmum Wed 05-Oct-16 08:36:29

Well it turned up on the Monday ! Thank goodness.
I don't usually send special delivery so I'm not sure about that but signed for deliveries will be delivered on Saturday if posted first class on Friday usually but I suppose it's like anything, there are delays and it's not guaranteed. But it does usually get delivered.

I think (not entirely sure) that special delivery sent on Friday will be guaranteed for Monday but is usually delivered on Saturday anyway.

Is it right that eBay don't count the weekends when giving an estimated delivery date? So they'll say it'll be delivered on Monday not Saturday.

Also quick aside..does anyone know if they take into account bank holidays? Like if someone buys the Sunday before bank holiday Monday something next day postage, will eBay's delivery date take into account the next day post offices are closed?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now