This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

First negative feedback

(21 Posts)
SauvignonPlonker Fri 23-Sep-16 21:46:27

Am a bit pissed off; sold a bundle of worn Gap kids clothing, which I inspected carefully before photographing & listing. Sold it for about £5 (6 items).

Am a pretty experienced eBay-er & aware not to sell crappy items.

Received my first ever negative in 13 years of selling, saying that the items were not even fit for a charity shop. No communication from buyer prior to this, so no opportunity to resolve informally; I would have happily accepted a return.

I guess you just have to chalk it up to experience. I don't see much point in contacting the buyer, but wish they'd just bloody communicated with me before posting negative feedback.

grandmainmypocket Fri 23-Sep-16 22:41:05

I'm sorry.
Can you respond to their feedback?

mrszc Fri 23-Sep-16 22:44:24

Get eBay involved if your items were that bad surely the photos would be telling. Plus they always advise to message a seller before leaving bad feedback, the rubbish etiquette may get it removed smile

19lottie82 Fri 23-Sep-16 22:53:20

eBay won't remove feedback for "bad etiquette".

Sorry OP, it's very frustrating when this happens but I can't see eBay removing this one.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Fri 23-Sep-16 22:53:45

I agree with contacting Ebay, I find the times I've gone through Ebay's Live Chat they've been very helpful. Very unreasonable behaviour from buyer, there's just no need for it.

SauvignonPlonker Fri 23-Sep-16 22:56:10

Am tempted to reply to it, saying I'm disappointed they didn't get in touch if weren't happy with the items, but removal sounds like a better option.

I've very rarely negged anyone, and only for really good reason.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Fri 23-Sep-16 23:50:20

From what I've read on this forum you can't leave a reply to neg feedback anymore.

mrszc Sat 24-Sep-16 00:15:21

eBay will look into it because the buyer made no attempt to contact the seller with regards to their issues before leaving feedback

NotCitrus Sat 24-Sep-16 00:53:56

eBay may remove it if they didn't contact you, especially if there's a good photo. Otherwise a simple "Buyer made no contact. Items were as described - see photo." - one neg won't put off buyers.

MakeMyWineADouble Sat 24-Sep-16 01:01:25

Agree contact eBay as they never contacted you, there's a case for removal, I didn't think you could reply anymore entire so I think going through eBay is your best bet

19lottie82 Sat 24-Sep-16 07:38:12

You can respond to feedback, yes, but there's absolutely no rule that says they have to contact you before leaving feedback.

19lottie82 Sat 24-Sep-16 07:42:10

HOWEVER..... look at the buyers feedback page and there will be a tab for "feedback left for others". Check this.

Has the buyer left lots of other negatives? If so you may be able to ASK that yours is removed on the grounds that the buyer is leaving unproportionate amounts of negatives.

I had a ridiculous negative removed once as the buyer had left 145 in the last year!!!

yeOldeTrout Sat 24-Sep-16 07:48:44

It's worth asking livechat, but I doubt they'll change it.

I would respond to the f/back with "Buyer made no contact before leaving feedback." which says volumes about both of you (good for you & bad for them).

Breadwidow Sat 24-Sep-16 08:11:46

I had a similarish experience with a bundle of baby clothes . . . After selling a few bundles with some success I put together another, which included some very nice dresses in great condition plus a few basic tops. In my case the buyer asked for a return, claiming some of the items were dirty and the bundle should go in the bin! It was a bit of a pita to do return as I was shortly off on holiday but I did it (had to get neighbour to take in bundle and let me know so I could refund). She still left me poor feedback but I couldn't face contacting her again as she'd been so rude!!! Anyway, I decided to risk sticking the bundle back on eBay after checking though it, ensuring it was all clean (it was!). It sold for more and I got very good feedback so I then put a reply on the bad feedback to alert people to fact I'd refunded the buyer and got good feedback when I sold the bundle again. I did pack it a bit more carefully the second time, maybe that had an effect but it goes to show people are just different! Anyway, I wouldn't let one bad bit of feedback deter you, buyers are looking for what the majority say

SauvignonPlonker Sat 24-Sep-16 09:53:43

Thanks for all the advice. I'll have some time later today to have a try at some of the suggestions.

SingaSong12 Sat 24-Sep-16 09:59:27

I've only ever bought from EBay. I wouldn't be put off by one bad review if the rest are positive unless the seller has sold much so there isn't much other feedback to balance it.

SauvignonPlonker Mon 26-Sep-16 19:09:15

Just to update; I emailed eBay customer services to request removal of the negative feedback, on the basis that the buyer had failed to communicate prior to leaving it. And that I had therefore not had the opportunity to resolve things informally eg refund, return etc. Plus no evidence to back up their claims such as photos.

I received an email overnight, agreeing with the above, and removing the negative feedback. From the timing of the email & language used, I think it was from America.

So I'm glad I emailed rather than using the live chat, and more importantly that it was upheld. Definitely worth a try.

I've not left feedback for the buyer & will add them to my blocked bidders list.

Result!!!

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 26-Sep-16 19:37:45

Nice one, always worth a try. I have nothing but good to say about Live Chat though.

SauvignonPlonker Mon 26-Sep-16 19:49:13

I didn't contact live chat because I had a kamikaze toddler marauding in the background & couldn't be on hold for ages. Never spoken with them before. Just pleased to have it resolved in my favour.

JinkxMonsoon Mon 26-Sep-16 19:55:33

Good result!

You do get some weirdoes on eBay. I had one claim that a pair of boots arrived "sticky" and sent me a photo of the soles stuck together. I'd meticulously scrubbed the soles prior to listing so I didn't have a clue what she was on about. I said fine, post them back to me.

She then left positive feedback. Obviously was hoping for a refund/discount but I wasn't having it.

To outright leave negative feedback is a dick move.

brodchengretchen Tue 27-Sep-16 10:16:32

For whatever reason, and I'm not going to suggest one, selling baby clothes on eBay seems to attract this type of thing. I just don't do it to save me the aggro.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now