This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

New to Ebay - postage query

(17 Posts)
youngestisapsycho Mon 12-Sep-16 10:02:50

Do you just send stuff normal post?
I have sold a couple of things and sent them as signed for so there is proof the items have been received. This is more expensive though.
If you send normal post, how do you have proof you sent it, and what if the recipient says they didn't receive it? TIA

youngestisapsycho Mon 12-Sep-16 12:47:05

Bump - anyone?

smilingeyes11 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:22:21

you don't have proof - paypal terms say you need to send with proof of delivery. I send everything Hermes - cheaper and online proof of delivery without the need to pay for the signature if it is a lower value item.

yeOldeTrout Mon 12-Sep-16 14:53:41

If it's valued under 10-15 quid I usually send without signature. I can claim off of RoyalMail if required. The margins are too tight to send low value things signed for.
Over £20 value, I have to send signed for.
This works for me.
Obviously if something goes missing, I apologise & quickly refund buyer... and add them to my blocked buyers list. They clearly have an unreliable service in their area.

nauticant Mon 12-Sep-16 15:25:32

To put it another way youngestisapsycho there are lots of people on ebay who, when they receive something by Royal Mail that they don't sign for, will then claim never to have received it. At that point you have two options:
immediate refund; or
fight against it, be forced to give a refund, and then look sadly at your damaged ebay account.

youngestisapsycho Mon 12-Sep-16 16:26:49

So things I send, people could lie, say they haven't received it, and I have to refund them while they keep the item?!

yeOldeTrout Mon 12-Sep-16 16:50:28

yup... all that. It's weird how only things valued > £15 ever go missing. Never the £1.50 stuff.

NewNameNows Mon 12-Sep-16 19:04:41

I send all my items signed for second class. (The old Recorded Delivery). The post office told me that this is the only "proof of delivery" for ebay purposes. Just getting a "proof of delivery slip" is not enough. Sending it Signed for means that a signature will be obtained and there is your proof of delivery plus you have the receipt from post office.

youngestisapsycho Mon 12-Sep-16 19:05:48

Thanks all.

smilingeyes11 Mon 12-Sep-16 21:35:36

you mean RM certificate of postage is not proof of delivery. And seeing as many posties don't bother with a signature I don't trust RM tracking tbh.

NewNameNows Mon 12-Sep-16 23:15:08

smiling Signed for means you are covered up to about twenty five pounds compensation if it goes missing. Generally posties do get signatures when it is sent signed for though. Ive also hear that other courier services dont get signatures or leave parcels all over the place so its all hit or miss. Proof of posting (I was told) means that if the receiver claims to have not received it then you yourself have to talk to Royal Mail to sort it out but i dont think there is comp with it. Signed for means you get your money back if it goes missing and no signature received.

smilingeyes11 Mon 12-Sep-16 23:32:32

yes I do know that thanks, I have been on eBay for 15 years and am aware of how it works - but when a postie doesn't bother getting a signature when you have asked for one then you are going to have the hassle of claiming for the loss and refunding a buyer who probably is lying.

19lottie82 Tue 13-Sep-16 07:37:21

A proof of postage covers you for up to £20, and signed for £50....BUT be aware that you mush have proof of how much you paid for the item in the first place if you want to claim compo for a lost item (NOT how much it sold for on eBay). If you don't have this, all you will get is a book of stamps.

nauticant Tue 13-Sep-16 10:42:43

For my last Royal Mail claim based on proof of posting they accepted the sale price on ebay of the item and I got a full refund (of a moderate amount of money). However, I've heard that other claimants just got the stamps so the practice of Royal Mail in this situation is variable.

yeOldeTrout Tue 13-Sep-16 11:07:59

I've always had a cheque back, never stamps. Stamps would be ok, though, I'd make 'em work.

NewNameNows Tue 13-Sep-16 14:18:43

Sorry Smiling just trying to help.

MaybeDoctor Tue 13-Sep-16 14:21:35

I tend to just send things second class and hope for the best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now