This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Message about different address after I've posted item

(6 Posts)
verystressedmum Sun 28-Aug-16 11:21:07

Someone bought something from me yesterday morning, it was early so I packaged it up and went to the post office and sent it signed for delivery.

All great except at about 7pm four messages came through from the buyer saying can I send to a different address as the registered address is their old address and gave a different address they wanted it sent to.

The messages had a time on them of about 9.30am..but they didn't come through, I had my phone in my hand and saw the messages come through in the evening so I have idea what happened that hasn't happened before.

Anyway, I messaged the buyer and said I have only just got the messages but I've sent the item etc and that I am only allowed to post to the registered address and it will come back to me if undelivered.

Does anyone know what I can do now? It will be delivered to the registered address and if someone signs for it they may keep it, leaving the buyer without the item and out of pocket.
And I will potentially get negative feedback.

So annoying they didn't just update their new address on eBay and PayPal!!

dickiedavisthunderthighs Sun 28-Aug-16 11:32:24

You did the right thing. The buyer could potentially claim a refund for item undelivered if it doesn't go to the registered address. The onus is on them to get it right. If it comes back to you then resend it but only if they have officially changed address on eBay and PayPal; and charge them postage to resend otherwise you'll be out of pocket.

verystressedmum Sun 28-Aug-16 11:55:56

Thanks. Yes could be a mistake but also a scam.
If I'd have got the messages in time I could have cancelled the sale or not sent it until the buyer changed the addresses.

I haven't received a response to my messages, I said I'd contact Ebay but not sure what else they can say except wait to see what happens.

It looks like they messaged straight after they paid. It's happened only once before that I didn't get a message until 2 days after it was sent but usually messages come through straight away.

19lottie82 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:26:14

If it's delivered to the address provided, simply not your problem. You've met your obligations as a seller. Upload the tracking info against the eBay and PayPal records just now if you haven't done it already.

If you put a return address on the parcel, tell the buyer you will forward it to them (at their cost) if it's returned to you.

If the buyer opens a case, you will win and they won't be able to leave negative feedback. If they don't open a case but leave it anyway, call eBay (not email or live chat) and they will remove it.

verystressedmum Mon 29-Aug-16 20:27:19

Thanks for that. I sort of knew that if I had proof of postage & delivery to the registered address I should be ok but wasn't sure of the feedback situation.

I don't like the thought of a buyer out of pocket and without the item and I wouldn't have sent it if I'd have got the messages in time but there's not much I can do.

They did reply and said ok I'll try pick it up from the depot...no idea what they're going on about as if it's delivered to a different address they won't know it's at the depot or be able to pick it up without the card.
I just replied yes that would be great if you can pick it up confused

19lottie82 Mon 29-Aug-16 22:04:27

I get that you feel bad if the buyer ends up out of pocket, but why should you be out of pocket?

Even if you DID get the messages before you sent the item, you shouldn't have sent it to an alternative address anyway. Only ever send a parcel to the address that accompany a the PayPal payment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now