Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Bought a faulty iphone.... will I be ok?

(18 Posts)
SexDrugsProfiteroles Thu 11-Aug-16 16:40:08

Iphone arrived, when on the charger it just flashes the logo on/off. When not connected it is utterly dead. It on an unrelated note was also just in a jiffy bag, the postlady lobbed it over the back gate and it chiped the case the phone was in. Bubble wrap in jiffy bag is thin and flat.

The seller is utterly refusing to entertain the idea it's faulty or refund. They point blank refuse stating over and over it's working on posting. As evidence they show a picture of the phone on with the apple logo, but it just flashes the logo on and off and does nothing else. Send about 8 messages to me so far, requesting images to prove it's the same phone etc. Provided them, it is the same and has imei on case plus a distinctive screen protector that's slightly off centre you can also see on sale photos. Personally I think it was sold faulty as the photos they show as proof of workinh only show the apple logo screen whilst it's on the charger, not it turned on or off the charger and I reckon they photograped it like this to pretend it works. Otherwise they have 100+ ok feedback so I thought I was fine.

Have I lost the money, or will ebay force a refund (I've opened a case)? In the interim I've asked him not to contact me over and over anymore and wait for ebay's decision as his emails are obviously trying to bully me down (unless he needs any more pictures/ evidence or wants to suggest a resolution other than outright refusal). I want to return for a refund, not partial or anything, as it appears to be an utterly dead phone.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 11-Aug-16 16:44:11

eBay always finds in favour of the buyer , just open a dispute. You will need to return the phone ( track able ) at your cost then you will get a full refund including return postage when you scan your postage receipt.

smilingeyes11 Thu 11-Aug-16 19:37:44

and they didn't even send it properly tracked or insured.

Seller is an idiot and wrong. Escalate the case as soon as you can and do neg and leave low starts too. You may get a free return label too - just make sure it goes back fully tracked and insured, not just standard signed for, it will need to be special delivery or courier.

e1y1 Thu 11-Aug-16 19:39:54

Ebay and Paypal nearly always, always find in favour of the buyer.

Open a dispute now. The seller can protest all they like, but you should be fine.

19lottie82 Thu 11-Aug-16 20:44:00

andnowitsseven that's not how returns work. Once The op has opened a case and it's been decided in here favour, she should get a pre paid return label to print off and send the phone back with, and once it's delivered then she will be refunded her original costs.

Always get a prepaid returns label when returning faulty goods. The seller cannot be forced to refund return postage costs retrospectively.

SexDrugsProfiteroles Thu 11-Aug-16 21:50:30

Thank you for responses! It will drag out as he's refusing to answer through the case I've opened but instead is sending lots of messages:

started:

I'm sorry but no returns and we fully tested the phone at Home and it works fine.

then 'send a video', impossible through ebay messages

then

'...there will be no refund so do not send the phone back it is not our responsibility'

4 times told me he bought the envelope from the post office (...?)
3 times told me the case has sellotape on
3 requests for pictures (given)
4 times told me it's photographed showing the logo
2 times told me he has a date stamped photo of it

9 messages in total getting longer an longer with 'proof' such as 'the envelope was secured sealed', but not answering that the point that the phone doesn't actually work. ARGH.

What really annoys me is ebay state the case may take until 9th September to resolve if we' need more time', I'd like a phone before that.

smilingeyes11 Thu 11-Aug-16 21:57:45

Ignore him - and neg him, well that is what I would do.

You can escalate 8 days after opening? Just do not communicate any more.

19lottie82 Thu 11-Aug-16 22:06:11

Yes, smilingeyes is correct. Don't pay attention to the sellers excuses. In 8 days, return to the case in the resolution centre and there should be an option to escalate / ask eBay to step in and help. eBay will then tell you to return the phone for a full refund. If you don't have the option to download a tracked returns label, then call eBay and ask for one.

19lottie82 Thu 11-Aug-16 22:07:01

Don't leave feedback until the case has been closed and you have received your refund.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 11-Aug-16 22:09:59

Right didn't realise they didn't prepaid labels now, they didn't use to,

19lottie82 Thu 11-Aug-16 22:39:58

Yeah, they've been in use for 18 months or so. Just making it clear as I don't want anyone to pay for the return postage from their own pocket and get it back, because unless the seller is really genuine / honest, then you've no chance of getting that money back!

SexDrugsProfiteroles Tue 23-Aug-16 10:12:48

I'm getting worried. I opened a case, asked eBay to step in and it's been pending since. It showed two different dates for response, then they passed and now there is no date.

19lottie82 Tue 23-Aug-16 13:56:46

Phone eBay and ask them to move things along.

Coconutty Tue 23-Aug-16 15:19:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

19lottie82 Tue 23-Aug-16 17:28:52

Online chat can be pretty useless, the OP would be better actually speaking to someone in the UK, rather than online chatting to someone in India (?) who doesn't have a clue what they're on about and is relying on a script.

SexDrugsProfiteroles Fri 26-Aug-16 09:32:06

Thank you- I rang and the refund was sorted.

Posted, tracked etc. Refunded to PayPal now tracking shows Royal Mail delivered.

BUT he is STILL messaging me, two minutes after refund email he messaged " you have not sent me a working tracking number, can you do so"

I've ignored so far as even on eBay it shows as delivered, and the number shown works fine on the Royal Mail site.

I think he will push this to the death, now saying it didn't arrive

smilingeyes11 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:26:38

well that is not your problem - make sure you do neg and leave low stars.

19lottie82 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:31:18

Yes just ignore him. If he wants info he can contact eBay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now