This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

eBay selling virgin - help please

(48 Posts)
Eminybob Sun 07-Aug-16 10:21:51

Hi. I have bought off eBay but not sold before so I was looking for a bit of advice.

I am selling my wedding dress/ shoes/other bits and was wondering first of all, what type of price to expect.

Dress was £170 new, worn once, shoes £40 worn once. What sort of starting price would you put? And is it possible to put a reserve on? I obviously want to get as much as I can, but also don't want to put people off.

Also, how do I know how much to charge for postage?

Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated.

TIA

DryAsRain Sun 07-Aug-16 10:25:57

I read that title completely wrong, I thought EBay were selling Virigns blush

SupermanStoleMyPants Sun 07-Aug-16 10:27:26

grin me too Rain

Eminybob Sun 07-Aug-16 10:31:47

Haha that would have probably made a more interesting thread!

NisekoWhistler Sun 07-Aug-16 10:38:10

Search for what you're selling and then select completed items and see and then also select sold items to see what they actually sold for.

I'm an avid ebayer and sold lots over the years and often stuff has gone for way more than I expected. However I was very disappointed with how little I got for wedding stuff. It's a flooded market, well it's not like anyone uses their wedding stuff more than once so everyone ebays it.

Good luck

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sun 07-Aug-16 10:51:36

The minimum reserve amount you can put is £50 I think, so you could try that with your wedding dress. From my experience, non designer clothes go for a pittance. I usually try and sell things for half what it is new, then work down from there sad
I think you'll be lucky to get a third or even a quarter of the new price, but you never know!

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sun 07-Aug-16 10:55:30

I've just searched Ebay 'wedding dresses size 12' there's over 100,000 sad

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sun 07-Aug-16 10:58:40

Just a thought. Could you have your dress made into something else maybe, a quilt or cushion covers for your bedroom. I've even seen cuddly toys made from clothes.

Eminybob Sun 07-Aug-16 12:06:02

I was thinking of dying it as it's just stretch lace and knee length, might look good black. But I really need some extra cash now.

We just had a simple small wedding so I'm not particularly sentimental about the stuff.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm going to try and put some listings up this afternoon while DS is napping.

smilingeyes11 Sun 07-Aug-16 12:08:40

you prob won't get much money for your dress. I would do a buy it now with best offer and free p&p and would send by Hermes. If buy it now start any time, if auction don't start until 8pm ish.

Eminybob Sun 07-Aug-16 12:52:27

Thanks. Any idea roughly what I might get for it? I can't find a similar one that has sold on eBay.

robin64 Sun 07-Aug-16 12:55:50

What make is the dress?

CodyKing Sun 07-Aug-16 12:56:52

If you download the app it will give you the chance to type lots in - it works out the postage or recommends postage (app also kachinggggs when a bid is placed)

Write as much as you can

Wedding dress 12 silk lace prom guest etc

Then put in measurements lengths size

The times I've seen

Trainers worn once

No size or anything!

It's not difficult but take nice pictures away from mess - this I've seen loads!

smilingeyes11 Sun 07-Aug-16 13:18:09

I honestly don't know - but I know the market for second hand dresses on eBay is very poor.

i8sum314 Sun 07-Aug-16 13:24:04

For postage, do people weigh the item and then see how much the postage would be, then round up? is that how it's done?
I know on etsy i've been charged four pounds for postage for an item that cost 1.80 to post!

smilingeyes11 Sun 07-Aug-16 13:34:51

No - I just send all clothing Hermes - costs £2.75 up to £1kg and is tracked. Much less fuss than RM, ischeaper and tracking which is necessary plus you can link it to your eBay so it uploads info to eBay for you so no buyers claiming not received.

CodyKing Sun 07-Aug-16 13:36:25

It will guess an average / shoes in a box are £2.80

At shirt in a flat envelop is £1.40 but more if it's a parcel / non postbox

NisekoWhistler Sun 07-Aug-16 14:47:59

For an idea of how much you may get search for it then select sold items - there's your answer

lljkk Sun 07-Aug-16 15:05:03

Try listing the items for about half of what you paid, include a million pictures & all the flaws you can think of describe in detail.

List the dress/shoes as "buy it now" with the option of best offer. See what happens.

Do not use reserve; waste of fees. If you must use auction, make your start price the reserve price.

Include postage in the price of the dress and tick the "free postage" box, so you don't have to worry about weighing things. Don't sell for under £7 (£10 for the dress) including postage, or you may not even get £1 back in profit after fees+postage.

Bad news is: August is mostly a bad month for sellers. School stuff may sell ok. Picks up again in September.

Eminybob Sun 07-Aug-16 15:14:03

That's fantastic advice thank you.
May wait until September then.

ProcrastinatingNow Sun 07-Aug-16 15:15:33

When we sell anything on eBay we always start at 99p. (Even a car once) You get loads of interest and watchers then.

If it's priced high you'll get very little interest ime.

But you could put it on auction and a Buy It Now price of whatever you would be happy with. Also, in the description say that you'll consider any sensible offers.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sun 07-Aug-16 16:44:45

I'd be too scared to do 99p start, I'd bloody sell it at that knowing me! I'd rather give it to charity than give something away for a pittance when it's worth a lot more.

smilingeyes11 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:17:32

99p start is pointless - it used to be free at that price but is now free at any price. You risk only 1 bidder which is ludicrous. Start either at the min price you want or do buy it now cheekily high with best offer.

Selling at 99p after fees means you will prob end up making pennies if that per sale, why would anyone bother doing that.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sun 07-Aug-16 17:29:36

I think you can only start things at 99p if you're virtually certain it'll go up, stuff that constantly sell for higher prices is worth the risk. Most things wouldn't be worth that risk though IMO.

Eminybob Sun 07-Aug-16 17:36:52

So do I have to pay fees to eBay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now