Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

New £50 item buyer not happy

(24 Posts)
WeLoveHaribo Thu 02-Jun-16 09:33:49

I sold a brand new unused burberry umbrella for £50
Lots of photos and full description, Checked it over all was good.
Sold on 23rd may, Paid and posted straight out- Signed for, Tracked, Insured.
Recieved a message yesterday saying they had just recieved the umbrella but its rusty.
Ive checked all my pics, no rust. When i checked brolly, no rust.
I emailed back saying i was almost certain there was no rust on umbrella and although i dont accept returns i would in this case.
24hrs have past, no more contact??

Im just really asking what to be aware of, What happens next etc as never had this before and i obviously dont want to lose out.
Many thanks.

EveryoneElsie Thu 02-Jun-16 10:21:47

Ask them to post photos of the rust, and to say exactly where it is.
That usually sorts the wheat from the chaff. smile

EveryoneElsie Thu 02-Jun-16 10:22:25

Ask them to post photos of the rust, that usually sorts it out pretty fast. After this I would block them as well.

EveryoneElsie Thu 02-Jun-16 10:23:02

^ WTF...

Dogwalks2 Thu 02-Jun-16 10:29:33

I used to use eBay and never had a problem as a seller, lately went back to sell some kids stuff and I can't believe the cheek of some people. Think there are lots of people buying and selling on for profit will not be selling again not worth the Hastle.

InternationalHouseofToast Thu 02-Jun-16 10:38:14

Does your umbrella have identifying features so you can check that it is your brolly you get back and not a different one, just in case your umbrella is being swapped for an older, rusty one?

WeLoveHaribo Thu 02-Jun-16 10:52:45

International- Good point, its got tags on, sewn on, so would need to be cut off and somehow reapplied. But i guess that sort of thing happens..
Will wait for them to get back in touch then ill request pictures.
Odd theyve not replied to my message yesterday?

EveryoneElsie Thu 02-Jun-16 15:33:16

Sounds like they are trying it on, always say you can identify the item you sent as that puts a lot of scammers off.

19lottie82 Thu 02-Jun-16 17:12:00

If they open a case you will have no choice but to refund on return. "No returns" doesn mean jack!

smilingeyes11 Thu 02-Jun-16 17:12:51

if they want to return it for a refund then you will of course need it sent back in the condition in which it was sent so you can check your security marks before refunding.

robin64 Thu 02-Jun-16 18:48:17

Where are the rusty bits supposed to be? Did you open out and look inside the brolly? could it be possible you didn't spot something? If you feel positive you double checked it all over then I would agree with smilingeyes and say you will refund once confirming it is your brolly via security marks. Check buyer's fb - do they have lots and is it all positive? you can get a feel for buyers sometimes from this.

WeLoveHaribo Thu 02-Jun-16 20:07:33

Yes I know that lottie but it deters most people from just thinking they can return things.
I've never had anything returned in all my years!
Still not heard anything back but at least now I know what to reply with so thanks.
I opened it out, yes. And I didn't spot anything so will be asking for pictures then take it from there.

19lottie82 Thu 02-Jun-16 21:57:39

haribo, yes asking for pictures is always a good idea. They might be hoping you a offer a partial refund, but don't. Stick to your guns. If they get back in touch, ask for pictures.
If they say they can't for whatever reason, tell them to return for a full refund.

WeLoveHaribo Mon 06-Jun-16 20:47:24

I've had several msgs off the buyer today demanding refund and postage refund.
I kindly said to sent pictures and we'll take it from there. (Twice!)
No pictures as yet but they've requested a refund through eBay and opened a case.
Are also stating there is a 2nd issue. (Again was ok when left here)
I'm unsure what happens here - am I right in thinking I am liable for postage both times? So even if I offer a refund I'm going to be £10 lighter (£5 each way) what are eBay likely to do?
Will eBay take their side?

19lottie82 Mon 06-Jun-16 20:52:50

eBay will most likely issue them with a returns label and charge you for it by adding the cost (£2.99) to the invoice for your final value fees.

GettingScaredNow Mon 06-Jun-16 21:04:12

I've never had Ebay issue a returns label. Return postage has always been at cost to the buyer.

This is my experience as a buyer and a seller.
I've had a few items bought of me and then they kick up a fuss and I've offered returns, even had cases opened stating they don't want to return but just a partial refund.
Never had anything actually returned. But even where at cases have been opened the buyer has always had to pay return postage.

Ebay is a headache.

WeLoveHaribo Mon 06-Jun-16 21:45:18

Lottie £2.99 wouldn't cover the cost to return item though???
I did tracked and insured £4 something.
I just have a bad feeling the brolly isn't going to come back in the condition it left me... How's that fair, problem is nothing I can do is there....

smilingeyes11 Mon 06-Jun-16 22:21:01

did you mention your security marks and returning in the condition in which it was sent?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 06-Jun-16 22:38:40

Probably just a scammer after some money back. I bet they settle for a partial refund and don't sent the brolly back. It seems to happen a lot lately.

Have you phoned eBay and spoken to anyone? They can see your account and will be able to see from all your pictures that there can't be any rust. They'll be able to see that the scammer is trying it on.

19lottie82 Tue 07-Jun-16 08:25:34

Yes, eBay will provide a returns label that is trackable and charge you £2.99. They may ask you to confirm that you want to purchase it.

19lottie82 Tue 07-Jun-16 08:26:48

All the buyer needs to do is print it off, attach it to their parcel then take it to the PO.

TWOBANANAS Tue 07-Jun-16 08:37:11

I had this issue with a leather jacket. Left my house in perfect condition. I took photos of it prior to leaving obviously for the listing) but didn't include every photo. They were very savvy with how they 'damaged' it and photographed it to imply it was damaged when I posted it. They basically damaged areas that were not photographed on the listing. I then sent them the pics I hadn't listed showing the bits they claimed were damaged (which they had literally taken a knife to) and that shut them up. Ebay ruled in my favour and I lost no money. It sounds like your buyer is trying it on.

WeLoveHaribo Wed 08-Jun-16 11:45:54

twobananas what a waste! Grrr makes you so cross doesnt it. How do you get into discussions with ebay? through report buyer or another way????

Ive a return case open-
Still not recieved pictures off buyer, ive until 14th to issue a refund. What happens then? Will ebay automatically give them a refund and i wont have goods?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 08-Jun-16 12:25:43

You need to speak to eBay really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now