Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a car or van from ebay..................

(17 Posts)
red37 Sun 14-Jan-07 21:45:08

Is it safe?

Anyone? x

Miaou Sun 14-Jan-07 21:48:38

Well we have bought 3 cars via ebay and have either been lucky or sensible with each one!

As price is our main factor, we tend to go for cars where the owners seem to list a lot of faults - on the basis that they are probably quite honest! And without exception each time we have gone for cars with bodywork damage - if you are not fussy about a dented door then you will get your car much cheaper than elsewhere.

twinsetandpearls Sun 14-Jan-07 21:52:19

We had the same discussion today as we are in the process of buying a new second hand car and cannot find the one we want locally. I do buy a lot from ebay but a car makes me feel nervous.I do know other people who have bought cars though and never had nay problems.

Wallace Sun 14-Jan-07 21:53:48

We did too

Completed the sale off ebay though (whoops not supposed to do that are you). Also we didn't view it before buying it

red37 Sun 14-Jan-07 21:54:20

Dh is looking for a works van as he is setting up own business, he has seen some bargains on ebay.....just wanted to know if it was ok and if anyone else had done that....being a bit dubious iyswim....not wanting to be ripped off

Yorkiegirl Sun 14-Jan-07 21:54:36

Message withdrawn

red37 Sun 14-Jan-07 21:57:52

It does sound good.

red37 Sun 14-Jan-07 21:58:42

Did it sell quick Yorkiegirl?

kid Sun 14-Jan-07 22:00:02

I wouldn't buy a car on Ebay, only because I would like to be able to go back to where I bought it from should something go wrong.
Saying that, my last 2 cars were bought from a showroom, both of which shut down less than a year later!

A friend of mine bought a car from Ebay and it was and still is fine.

mygirllolipop Mon 15-Jan-07 10:31:26

Message withdrawn

Bubbaloo Mon 15-Jan-07 13:41:15

I really can't see the difference in buying off Ebay or buying privately from somewhere else.If you go and look at the car before the auction ends(as most people do or are meant to do)then you can make your own mind up when you see if.I have looked at cars on Ebay but there was nothing local that caught my eye,so haven't bought a car that way before,but I know about 6 people who have and they were all very pleased with what they got.Like with most cars,I think you just have to be lucky-you can buy a new one and have problems with it,yet have a 10 year old car which is perfect.

Skyler Mon 15-Jan-07 13:56:06

My Dad bought an Audi TT on ebay (by accident, oh really ) and sold it to a dealer for £2000 more. So it can work brilliantly.

NannyL Mon 15-Jan-07 20:52:26

my best friend got a car off ebay

she wrote off her car and needed something to run around in quickly.... and now so she got it (quite an old banger really but it worked) drove around for a few months while she decided what car to get with insurance money... and then sold it again for same price she paid for it!

Aero Mon 15-Jan-07 21:03:10

Like YG, we also sold our car on Ebay and we're honest. Seemed like a good idea as advertising it in Auto Trader was fairly expensive. It was bought by lovely people who were very pleased with it.

Yorkiegirl Mon 15-Jan-07 23:04:51

Message withdrawn

Flossam Mon 15-Jan-07 23:17:47

DP brought ours from Ebay. We payed about 1k for it and its still going over a year later. It did have one nasty service, only a couple of months after sailing through its MOT (different not used before garage for the service, ). It was on sale just up the road from where we were living so DP was able to go over and check it out. On balance we wouldn't have got as good a car anywhere else probably.

>>>>Waits for immenint (sp) phone call from DP to say he has broken down in next couple of weeks<<<<

winestein Mon 15-Jan-07 23:27:41

Bought my 7 seater off ebay for less than £2k and it is really quite good. Not brilliant or excellent but good. If you are naturally a bit anal about things it is probably not the place to buy a car. If you want something that is A to B and if the descrition reads ok and the seller answers questions in a reasonable manner then go see it. I didn't go see it as DS was too young at the time incidentally - worked out ok but I wouldn't recommend it.
I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a car off ebay without seeing it and doing HP checks etc though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »