Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How to avoid scammers?

(25 Posts)
Crapmummy2016 Fri 01-Apr-16 09:54:04

I'm trying to sell an expensive item. I've been trying to sell it for a while now on various selling sites. I've had a lot of interest but they are all asking if I will courier the item. I've stated collection only in my listings but am starting to realise it may never sell unless I do agree to shipping.

My concern though is that someone can say the item is not as described and force eBay or Paypal to refund them and I will be without the item and money. The item is brand new but has various marks on that I have documented and photographed but I don't trust eBay if someone tries it on.

Is there anyway I can ask them to pay that would ensure this sort of thing couldn't happen?

19lottie82 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:12:09

What's the item?

Crapmummy2016 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:14:10

It's a buggy

19lottie82 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:14:18

That's always the risk you run, with PayPal, unfortunately. It is minimal but it's still there.

To eliminate the risk completely, then you would need to be paid by cash or bank transfer.

Crapmummy2016 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:15:23

Is bank transfer safe? I wasn't sure.

How about PayPal if the payment is marked as gift instead of services?

19lottie82 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:17:07

Ah OK.

I wouldn't say a buggy is an item that attracts scammers, more than anything else TBH.

I had it in my head you meant something like jewellery of a high end mobile phone.

And if the seller complains the item is "not as described", they will have to return it for a refund.

The only time a buyer gets to "keep the item" and gets a refund, is if the seller does not respond to a case.

19lottie82 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:18:34

Yes bank transfer is safe, as is a gift PP payment, but you may find that a buyer is unwilling to make payment by either of these methods as there is nothing to stop you keeping their money and never sending the item.

lljkk Fri 01-Apr-16 10:25:49

The item has to be returned for you if Ebay buyer demands refund. It's all part of the procedure.
How expensive is this pram new, it's not one of the £600 ones is it?

I think you're being unduly pessimistic, tbh, just talk the pram condition down, lots of photos (use facebook for extra photos even) & set a suitably high courier price.

Can you find a courier that will take that size/weight item for less than £25?

Crapmummy2016 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:32:14

Ok maybe I will have to bite the bullet and look into couriers. I imagine it will cost a lot to send.

It's an expensive buggy to buy new but I'm selling the basic version only with none of the extras. I've explained this but I'm still getting people ask questions that show they either aren't reading my description or don't quite understand. So I'm wary someone might buy it then kick up a fuss when they realise they still need to spend quite a bit on the other bits.

Despite me asking for just over half the RRP for the buggy I'm still getting people making ridiculously low offers too.

Crapmummy2016 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:34:27

It's closer to £1000 in the shops!

I'm just wary because I was scammed myself when buying it and went through hell to get a refund.

lljkk Fri 01-Apr-16 11:28:56

Yeah, people don't read, it's very annoying. They read very short listings better than long ones.

So how were you scammed?

Wow, so it could sell for £300-£500?
You may struggle to get a courier who will insure it, sorry to say.
I'd think at least £50 to courier that, with adequate insurance.
This problem goes away if you can't find a courier to insure it, anyway.

Put a title on it like "PoncetasticBrand buggy in ok condition with NO ACCESSORIES". Buyers won't miss that. Then list the basic accessories it does have, in a short simple list that ends "AND NOTHING ELSE". And say "It has plenty of dings & marks & stains or whatever everywhere you look".

Crapmummy2016 Fri 01-Apr-16 11:39:10

I was sold the buggy as brand new but it has scratches on the frame that show it was clearly used at least a couple of times. I tried to return for a refund but the seller wouldn't have it. eBay forced a refund after over a month of me being harassed by the seller. The buggy was never collected and I've had it 6 months so I'm trying to sell it on.

AveEldon Fri 01-Apr-16 11:41:39

Facebook selling is usually good for buggies
If you don't think it's brand new then don't sell it with that description

The other option is to drop the price - seeing as you got it for free

lljkk Fri 01-Apr-16 11:46:28

Have you not used the buggy at all?
Do you think it got covered with scratches because it was packaged badly for the courier?

AveEldon Fri 01-Apr-16 11:58:13

If you are reselling it on ebay with the same account then people will be able to see when you bought it etc

lljkk Fri 01-Apr-16 12:04:21

do you check for those details, AveEldon? I don't know how, even though I'm pretty experienced on Ebay. I'd only be interested in the current condition, not the history.

AveEldon Fri 01-Apr-16 12:23:15

I did when buying a buggy as lots of people claimed only one owner, light use etc but they had bought it second hand 6 mths before etc

Crapmummy2016 Fri 01-Apr-16 12:26:59

I'm being honest in my description about its condition etc. The reason I wanted someone to collect is to make sure they are totally happy with the condition.

I haven't used it at all. It's still in the box. It's not courier damage. It's clearly been used a couple of times then taken apart and sold on.

I've nothing to hide I am just nervous as it became a very stressful saga.

lljkk Fri 01-Apr-16 12:29:08

What price have you advertised for if local collection, CM16?

Crapmummy2016 Fri 01-Apr-16 12:31:04

Essentially it is brand new. This particular brand of buggy marks very easily and so after a week or so of use you'd expect to see the marks that this one has. But you wouldn't expect it to have these marks fresh from the box.

The person who sold it to me had bought it themselves from elsewhere. It didn't show up on eBay but the box still had the handmade postal label on!

Anyway I will offer courier delivery and take my chances.

EveryoneElsie Fri 01-Apr-16 23:30:09

Do you have a pawn shop in your town? Or a cash converters?

Gingefringe Thu 07-Apr-16 22:47:10

So you had a refund for the buggy from the original seller, but it was then never collected - in effect you have a free buggy that you're trying to sell? Am I reading this correctly?

Crapmummy2016 Fri 08-Apr-16 08:10:56

Yes, correct.

The buggy is sold now.

Gingefringe Fri 08-Apr-16 22:22:45

Sounds like you've done well out of the transaction - not sure why you were concerned about 'low offers' when in effect the buggy was free because the original seller couldn't be bothered to collect it - what happens if they turn up to collect it from you now?

Crapmummy2016 Fri 08-Apr-16 22:47:16

I doubt they will turn up 7 months later, but if they do tough. They had ample opportunity to take the buggy back and refused, even after eBay stepped in. They also harassed me with up to 20 emails a day for a month so I really have no sympathy for them.

The proceeds from the sale were pledged to the hospice that cared for my late dad, so I didnt want to let it go for a silly low price which several people offered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now