Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer complaining that boots are man made material...

(11 Posts)
Platelet Thu 31-Mar-16 18:49:50

So sick of EBay at the moment, I don't know why I bother.

Sold a brand new pair of boots on there with the description that they were suede. Posted them off and now had a message saying that they are mis described as they aren't genuine 'suede leather'. I'm being threatened with bad feedback unless I refund and cover the return postage.

Nowhere in the listing have I said they are leather, I've simply described them as suede (as far as I know you can have man made and synthetic suede)

Have I got to suck this up? It's all I'm having at the moment, people wanting to return things like you would a shop.

ValiaH Thu 31-Mar-16 18:52:52

Suede is always used to describe suede leather, and imitation or synthetic suede should always be described as such- the suede feeling comes from the inside of the animal skin. Unfortunately in this case the buyer is right.

dementedpixie Thu 31-Mar-16 18:55:14

You should have said they were synthetic suede in the listing. How else would the buyer know they weren't real suede ?

EskSmith Thu 31-Mar-16 19:00:17

IMO suede is a type of leather. I'm afraid your description was misleading and yes you should cover the return.

BanningTheWordNaice Thu 31-Mar-16 19:01:09

I'm sick of eBay at the moment as well but in this case the buyer is totally in the right. Suede is a type of leather...

LittleNelle Thu 31-Mar-16 19:01:22

Suede is definitely leather, if they are synthetic you should have stated it.

Platelet Thu 31-Mar-16 19:04:55

Grrrr!! Thank you, I have 100% feedback with over 2500 score so I'm not prepared to lose that. It's so bloody annoying, to me they were suede boots. I'm too soft with the things I buy, if something arrives and it's not to my liking or doesn't fit I just suck it up and see it as part of the risk of EBay. The things I've had sent back for various reasons is ridiculous lately, as a seller you dont have a leg to stand on.

seven201 Thu 31-Mar-16 19:05:19

I wouldn't buy synthetic suede shoes - make your feet sweaty! You do need to refund them I'm afraid.

summerwinterton Thu 31-Mar-16 19:08:12

regardless of suede/leather debate threatening neg feedback is feedback extortion and against the rules.

But you will need to accept the return and refund in full anyway. And that is no guarantee that they won't still neg and trash your stars.

CointreauVersial Fri 01-Apr-16 16:27:49

I'd be very pissed off if I bought something described as suede, but it turned out to be synthetic. And I wouldn't suck it up if I'd paid a few pounds.

You need to be crystal clear in your descriptions. Not liking something, or it not fitting, is a personal thing, and nothing to do with the description, but if you've not described it accurately then be prepared for unhappy customers.

It doesn't always happen - I sold a dress described as a Size 10, whereas in fact it was clearly labelled as an 8 (must have had a senior moment....). The buyer complained, and I immediately offered a refund and was hugely apologetic..... but then she wrote back to say she'd tried it on, and it fitted, even though it wasn't her usual size. I think if I hadn't held my hands up to the mistake she might not have been so flexible.

HolgerDanske Fri 01-Apr-16 16:30:47

Uhm no, suede is not both leather and synthetic. If you had said leather and not faux leather the buyer would have been completely within their rights to ask for a refund. It is exactly the same with suede. If it is not actual animal hide suede it should be described as synthetic suede.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now