Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

BIN item lost in transit with couriers - time to give up?

(10 Posts)
EagleRay Wed 16-Mar-16 18:07:24

I bought a small(ish) item of furniture as BIN on ebay over 2.5 weeks ago and it was dispatched almost immediately via courier.

Once I managed to get hold of the tracking no, I could see that it was en route, then it just never turned up on the expected day. Not long after that, the tracking status changed to 'delayed' and has remained that way ever since.

I eventually managed to get through to the courier co and they said the item was mislaid. I then informed the seller of what they had said. The courier co then asked me to get the seller to contact them, which I did. Apart from an initial update from seller to say sorry but the item was still stuck at location x (7 days ago), I've not heard another word from her.

I got in touch with her again a couple of days ago to ask for an update - no response. I then logged a case for an item which hadn't turned up - no response. I then discovered an identical item listed by someone else which I would like to buy as a replacement as frankly I don't think this original item is ever going to turn up! The other item isn't local but seller says am welcome to arrange own courier to collect. I messaged the seller yesterday to say I was very keen for an update due to an opportunity to buy a replacement item - no response.

I had an update from courier company today after contacting them - item still missing.

I'm getting a bit fed up now with everything - I wouldn't mind the delay so much if the bloody seller answered messages, even if it was just to say sorry she didn't have an update, but the lack of repsonse is tedious.

What I'm thinking is the best option is to buy this other item (auction ends this eve) and arrange a courier, and also to cancel the sale of the original item and get my money back.

Have I waited a reasonable amount of time, given seller has been generally unresponsive and has some negative feedback already for items which are lost, broken or not wrapped properly, plus also for poor communication?

Do I have enough justification to leave neg feedback? I haven't done this to anyone before, and I know the courier losing the item isn't her fault but she doesn't seem to give a shit!

19lottie82 Wed 16-Mar-16 18:39:07

You shouldn't be chasing the courier, you won't get very far with them TBH as you're not their client, the eBay seller is.

I would escalate the "not recieved" case with eBay when you can (think it's about a week after you open it)....... Then leave negative feedback, definitely. However only do it once the case has been decided in your favour and you've been refunded.

EagleRay Fri 18-Mar-16 09:09:20

I bought the other item, and 2 days have passed since posting this and still not a bloody word from the seller! Beginning to think she's a bit of a cheeky cow as she's actually ignoring me...

When I opened the case I said I still wanted the item but will change the status of this now to request a refund, if it's possible to do this.

19lottie82 Fri 18-Mar-16 11:49:46

If it's been a week since you opened the case just escalate it ("ask eBay to step in and help"). eBay will then issue a refund unless the seller can show delivery.

EagleRay Fri 18-Mar-16 17:34:25

The case has been open less than a week, but the item 'missing' for over two weeks. I actually had an update from her this afternoon where she said it was still missing and 'obviously' would want to recover her losses before she refunds me (or words to that effect)

I'm not sure that's how it works hmm

19lottie82 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:59:39

It doesn't. You don't have to wait until she has "recovered her losses". Don't waste your time engaging with her anymore.

As already advised just escalate the case as soon as you can and eBay will issue you with a refund shortly afterwards. Make sure to leave appropriate feedback once your refund is complete. Don't leave any until then, and make sure it is factual / not emotional.

If you look at the case in the resolution centre it should tell you when you can escalate.

nauticant Fri 18-Mar-16 22:32:43

EagleRay, you should listen to 19lottie82 and do what she says.

You can sidestep all of the hassle and just get your money back from the first transaction leaving the (it sounds like) rubbish seller to track down the item.

EagleRay Sat 19-Mar-16 20:44:39

After speaking to an Ebay person on the phone (I had opened the case saying I still wanted the item but now want to start the refund process instead), they advised I need to just message the seller telling her this, which I've now done. So hopefully a refund won't take too long (think I still have 2/3 days before I can escalate).

EagleRay Sat 19-Mar-16 20:45:36

And thanks to both of you for your help smile

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 19-Mar-16 20:47:50

I had to do this last night. It took about three hours after I opened the case for eBay to refund me. Seller then came to life and messaged me a few times but refund was easy enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now