This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Why don't people start item at a higher price rather than over inflating p+p?

(7 Posts)
Pangurban1 Wed 02-Mar-16 19:59:13

I bought an item. The p+p was down for £7.40. I saw the actual p+p cost was £2.80 when the item arrived. The item started low and went low. Feel the discrepancy is a bit high and a bit sharp.

Of course, that is better than another seller who cancelled and refunded because they had 'meant to put a reserve price'. The item was on for a few days and they had ample time to pull it rather than letting auction run to conclusion and then pull out after I had paid.

Most people are ok, but there seem to be a few of these at the moment.

Trills Wed 02-Mar-16 20:12:22

You saw that the actual postage cost was £2.80.

The &p must have made up the rest.

You knew the price when you bid, you were willing to pay the total price you paid, I don't think it's worth thinking about really.

Trills Wed 02-Mar-16 20:13:59

In the past, the ebay fees were a % of the "selling price", not including the p&p. So setting a high p&p may be a way to try to get extra money without having to pay the fees on it.

(I haven't sold for ages so not sure if this still applies)

Celticlassie Wed 02-Mar-16 20:15:17

I agree. I'd much rather have a higher starting price than have the seller maximising their profit with p&p. Often my parcels come in taped up plastic bags or second hand Jiffy bags.

Pangurban1 Wed 02-Mar-16 20:32:50

The +p was a plastic bag, taped up. I don't think anyone could blag that up to the difference.

KP86 Wed 02-Mar-16 20:37:43

eBay charges their fees on the total amount including postage now, probably to stop people from inflating postage and getting around fees.

So annoying when it's a pass through cost for the seller.

Pangurban1 Wed 02-Mar-16 20:54:50

It does make the feedback awkward though. The item was a good price, but there is a specific p+p feedback star rating. So I could say it was a good item in comments, but answering honestly would give a low rating for p+p on stars. If the starting price had incorporated the price shoved onto p+p, then it would have much easier on feedback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now