Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Worried about this buyer

(25 Posts)
Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 12:50:02

I yesterday sold an iPad on eBay for around £145. The person who ended up winning the auction (let's call them x) sent me a message before the auction finished, asking if it was in good condition; any scratches; how long have I had it etc. I said no scratches and I had it from new, so a few years, and it's always been kept in a case.

X won the auction, then sent a message asking if it came with a charger, case and box. I said I could send a case and charger but not sure if I still had the box. X asked if I could check, and I said of course that's no problem, but the listing didn't state it came with a box. So he said ok. I looked today and no longer have the box. So I let him know, said it would still be packaged well in a case, and could he pay asap so I could get it sent (I was thinking it was unlikely he was going to pay).

To my surprise he paid a few hours later. However I received a message from PayPal saying the payment was pending as its a large amount, and would be paid once the buyer confirms they're happy with the item.

I have a bad feeling about this. I feel like he's going to say he's not happy with it. Then what? What's to stop him saying it's not as described and returning a different iPad that's scratched etc??

Whilst typing this he's just sent another message asking if it's been factory reset and if it has an iCloud lock (whatever that is?) Surely if you're a regular buyer you'd ask all these questions before buying an item?? Something just doesn't feel right. It looks like he deals in buying and selling consoles/phones/tablets by the looks of his user name and he has one item for sale currently which would fit in with this

VimFuego101 Sun 21-Feb-16 12:53:41

It's normal for eBay to withhold payment for high risk items until a set time has passed or the buyer leaves feedback.

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:01:19

Thanks vim. But what if the buyer says he's not happy? What will happen? I know the item is in great condition etc, but it'll be his word against mine

Sophie38 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:05:32

Sounds like the standard pay after delivery system to me. They do this for most of my items I think, well, the things I buy - I've not had it with a sold item yet but then I rarely sell.

Don't worry, I think it's random. Go ahead and post it with proof of postage and signed for delivery. (very important)

It sounds like it should be fine.

Sophie38 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:06:51

Buyers can return stuff anyway if they pay by paypal. This is just the same.

He would still need to open a dispute and if he tried to lie about the condition or return one that wasn't yours, you could then argue against that with photos, etc etc

Write down the serial number before you post it, take a close up of it, so you can prove yours is yours.

Arfarfanarf Sun 21-Feb-16 13:09:11

I'd be worried he's planning on sending you an empty box back by recorded delivery.

I'd cancel it and return his money and take the hit on the negative feedback. I'd have a bad feeling about it tbh.

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:09:19

Ok thank you. That's reassuring you think it should be fine. Does it not seem strange he's asking lots of questions once he's already committed to buying it? Maybe that's just how some people do things but seems odd to me. It looks like he does buying and selling of gadgets etc, so surely he'd know what questions to ask before buying an item?!

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:11:11

Sorry x post. This is the kind of thing I'm thinking arfar confused

Sophie38 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:20:01

No, it doesn't seem odd at all to me - I used to sell a lot, and I have over 1100 feedback and have been doing ebay for 11 years now.

This is just how some people are - nothing you have said makes my hackles rise in any way.

The things you are afraid of can happen with any paypal transaction.

I'm going to revise my previous advice because I can't be sure from your posts, but if the payment hasn't been made to you yet by paypal, and it's still pending, you should not send the item till paypal tell you it has cleared.

With the 'pay after delivery' thing, you should already have the monwey and paypal will debit his account in a couple of weeks.

Can you screenshot the email?

Sophie38 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:20:15

sorry ds3 is trying to climb on me

FriedSprout Sun 21-Feb-16 13:20:59

If he contacts you to say he has found a problem with the iPad, just say 'no problem, please return it for you to assess problem and to check security markings and serial number' - hopefully this will make him think twice.

You can buy security pens to mark your postcode on high value items. This only shows up under ultra violet light.

For future items, you can change settings in eBay to only allow specific types of posters to bid on your items eg bidders with high feedback, those that have been members over a certain time, U.K. Based bidders only etc. Since I did this I have had no issues (fingers crossed this continues)

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:27:13

Here's a screen shot Sophie. Many thanks for your advice. Reading the email again, it does look like it may be because I haven't sold this type of item before.

Thanks for your advice too fried - will definitely do that should there be any problems

CointreauVersial Sun 21-Feb-16 13:29:48

Have you checked the buyer's feedback? If he buys and sells a lot you'll see from his feedback what sort of person he is.

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:33:41

I've looked at his feedback and even though he's been a member for 4 years there's only less than 30 positive feedbacks (although no negative/neutral). I'm probably worrying unnecessarily smile

19lottie82 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:33:56

That message from eBay is standard. I wouldn't worry about it.

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:34:59

It seems strange as he's obviously a gadget buyer/seller from his user name and the items involved, but not a high volume of buying and selling judging by the feedback

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:35:42

Thanks lottie smile

everyonesmom Sun 21-Feb-16 13:41:06

The pay pal withholding payment statement seems a bit odd to me. I recently bought a watch costing over (1,500) on eBay......after I asked the seller loads of questions and spoke to him on the phone (he must have thought I was a nightmare). Anyway I paid, the payment took two hours to show clear funds in his account and then he posted the watch. I wouldn't have expected him to send the watch until he had the funds.

Sophie38 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:41:53

Oh Ok, that isn't either of the emails I had in mind but it seems legit.

It's because it's an ipad and they are the sort of thing that dodgy buyers and sellers go for a lot.

Trust Lottie on this, she is the Ebay Queen

Flumplet Sun 21-Feb-16 13:47:33

Can you take a pic of serial number before you post it so if he does return a different one you'll be able to prove it.

CointreauVersial Sun 21-Feb-16 13:52:44

I wasn't aware of the PayPal thing - it makes selling high value items even more fraught, it would seem. I recently sold a brand new iPad, but just as I was about to list it on eBay, a friend of DH's offered to buy it privately, for cash. I can't help thinking I had a lucky escape!

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:58:36

I've taken a pic of the serial number, but will that prove its the same as the one I sent if he says it isn't? I think that's the thing... selling a high value item is stressful anyway, without having to wait for a stranger to say "yes, I'm happy with this" before I get the money for it. He's a stranger - he could say anything!

19lottie82 Sun 21-Feb-16 16:40:19

Sometimes a PayPal payment will go through straight away. Other times it will be held for a few weeks.
This can be because you're a new seller, had issues with your sales in the past, or it can be completely random.

If you want to speed up the release of the payment, get it sent off ASAP and upload the tracking details to eBay and PayPal.

IJustLostTheGame Sun 21-Feb-16 16:41:52

Make sure you send with a tracking number and if he does want to return it tell him he has to provide a tracking number also.
I've had people in ebay complaining the phone I've sent them has no charger and/or box and want a partial refund. I've always replied if not stated in the listing then not supplied and they've never requested a return.

Fox28 Sun 21-Feb-16 17:16:04

Thanks all, I've sent it signed for so have a tracking number. Hopefully it'll all be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now