This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is there any point trying to contest this return request?

(10 Posts)
Cydonia Sat 13-Feb-16 17:58:30

I recently sold my horse's old saddle on eBay. The advert included numerous photographs and I was honest about the condition - good used condition. The buyer has received the saddle, but would like to return it as she says it is "twisted", will not sit straight on the horse, and if used would cause muscular damage to both horse and rider. She has apparently had it checked by a saddle fitter who agrees with her, so says I should refund as the item is not fit for purpose.
I was shocked by this as I genuinely did not know there was such a fault with the saddle. However, I did not get it checked by someone experienced/qualified in these matters before I posted it so I guess it's her word against mine? And I don't have back up! I suspect it just doesn't fit her horse and she wants to return it.
Can I contest this with eBay? From what I can find on their customer service section it seems that the buyer has all the rights!
Really pissed off about this, if I have to pay return postage I'm going to end up about £30 out of pocket ( including bloody PayPal fees ) and have a saddle that is apparently worthless! Any advice please?

MrsNoraCharles Sat 13-Feb-16 18:34:10

I'm afraid that no, it's not usually worth contesting - although I suppose you could ask for the actual evidence from her expert (e.g. letter). I think it's still likely to end up with you refunding though.

PayPal will refund the fees, but that's not going to help you with the postage.

I'm sorry Cydonia because it's crap, but I agree that the seller has no rights on Ebay.

Don't just believe that your saddle is worthless though. Have it checked yourself when you get it back - then maybe sell it through an equine FB group?

Cydonia Sat 13-Feb-16 19:01:40

Thanks, that's what I thought....sigh.

robin64 Sun 14-Feb-16 17:47:47

Yes you will have to refund unless you can prove the saddle's condition. Just agree to a return - is it too far away to pick up? Don't refund til you have the saddle back and know it is the one you sent.

Cydonia Mon 15-Feb-16 09:18:20

Yes I'm afraid it is too far away to collect. I've just been looking again at the buyers messages and pictures she sent of the supposed defect. I don't think it's that obvious, is there any way I can contact eBay and get them to make her prove she got it checked by a saddler? Just don't see why I should take her word for it!
I'm so annoyed, I've been trying for months to sell the saddle locally with no luck, I never really wanted to put it on eBay because of the risk of this happening! Come to think of it, 3 people borrowed it with a view to buy but it didn't fit their horses. None of them mentioned that there was anything wrong with it.

19lottie82 Mon 15-Feb-16 15:07:39

No, you can't force her to provide proof that it's been checked before refunding. To you the fault is minor but to her maybe not so much.

I'm afraid this is one of the downfalls of selling on eBay.

WickedWax Mon 15-Feb-16 15:11:27

eBay and PayPal virtually always side with the buyer. Get her to return it then refund it, and chalk the cost up to experience.

eBay is more hassle than it's worth these days.

robin64 Mon 15-Feb-16 15:24:00

I agree just take it back and refund, she must feel the saddle is not right. If it was a scam she would be wanting money off not a refund. Maybe the people who borrowed it found it did not fit due to this same issue? If it is worth less than the return cost just ask her to get rid of it or perhaps you can have it repaired and try selling again.

Cydonia Mon 15-Feb-16 21:12:26

Ah ok, thanks guys. I hope it's worth more than the return postage! But I think I'll probably just keep it, I'm sick to death of trying to sell it. I'm just confused as to how it's ended up being twisted as she describes, I really wouldn't have sold it knowing there was such a fault. Oh well, I should have stuck with my instinct and steered clear of eBay, I know I will in future.

robin64 Wed 17-Feb-16 17:43:36

Sell a large or heavy item collection only then the buyer can inspect it and no postage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now