Talk

Advanced search

Pink DS Lite has just arrived, bought from ebay, b*st*rd failed to mention it never had a uk plug....

(36 Posts)
Aimsmum Tue 19-Dec-06 15:24:57

Message withdrawn

santasweetdreamer Tue 19-Dec-06 15:57:21

aimsmum thats terrible.

could you buy an adaptor to fit the US plug?

make sure you leave very negative feedback for him!

ssd x x x

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 19-Dec-06 16:00:50

You can buy foreign-to-UK adaptor plugs in Boots

santasweetdreamer Tue 19-Dec-06 16:01:55

thats whar I was thinking

sometimes asda sell them too

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 19-Dec-06 16:04:16

If it's the same voltage you can just cut the foreign plug off and wire up a UK one.

Aimsmum Tue 19-Dec-06 16:06:53

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Tue 19-Dec-06 16:08:46

Message withdrawn

LIZS Tue 19-Dec-06 16:11:14

We charge ds' Gameboy with a Swiss adaptor via one of those travel adaptors. pita for you though.

Aimsmum Tue 19-Dec-06 16:18:57

Message withdrawn

KTreePee Tue 19-Dec-06 16:21:20

You can definitely get an adaptor - I bought dh a DS a few years ago in NY before they were available here and he didn't have any trouble getting an adaptor here.

Aimsmum Tue 19-Dec-06 16:22:29

Message withdrawn

mummydear Tue 19-Dec-06 16:27:34

Right

mummydear Tue 19-Dec-06 16:28:24

I think I'd buy an adapter

Skyler Tue 19-Dec-06 16:30:16

That is utterly crap! Don't do as he suggests IMO. Sounds a bit dangerous. Hope you get it sorted. What a cowboy!

geordiemacmincepie Tue 19-Dec-06 16:35:48

That will work, and I have done it a few times as I work for a mobile fone operator and sometimes get 2 pin plugs on things.. but I certainly wouldnt recommend it as a permanent solution, or for a child to be doing it.. the best type of item to use for his is the top of a biro pen...

If it has an american plug on it then an adapter will be fine, best/cheapest place will be somewhere like asda, woolies etc.. its a 2 pin adapter, the sort you would use to charge an electric toothbrush, not a european adapter that you would take on holiday as these convert a 3 pin into a 2 pin not vice versa.

HTH!!

Aimsmum Tue 19-Dec-06 16:39:49

Message withdrawn

geordiemacmincepie Tue 19-Dec-06 16:45:13

No, I wouldnt recommend it either, all I was saying is that he wasnt lying when he said it would work, we occasionally do it here if there is no alternative.

Plug should cost less than a fiver!!!

Also, dont know whether you have seen it but there was another thread on the xmas section that said all DS's needed to be charged for 24 hours before first use? Just incase you hadnt seen that.xxx

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 19-Dec-06 16:45:27

I'm certain Boots do european to UK adaptors.

I'm aghast at his suggestion though, as well as being horrified because someone will actually try it.

LIZS Tue 19-Dec-06 16:48:47

have you got a shaving point , it may fit one ?

geordiemacmincepie Tue 19-Dec-06 16:55:35

DCDO... I work for a mobile fone operator, as an engineer, with quailfacations in electric and electronic engineering. I wasnt suggesting that anyone try it, or condoning it, I simply stated that it would work as the top hole on a socket isnt live.

The guy was stupid for recommending that you do this as a method to permanently power an applicance, especially one that it is aimed at children as young as 5 or 6.... if he is advertising these as british standard then he is supplying incorrect information and should be reported to ebay.

Thecharmed1 Tue 19-Dec-06 16:57:31

Have you reported him to ebay, and how did you pay?

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 19-Dec-06 16:58:57

I wasn't commenting on anything you said, Geordie! It was that the seller suggested sticking something metal in a socket to make what is usually a child's toy work is utterly irresponsible. Whilst adults would be aware that it's only the earth socket you can do this with, the thought of a child doing it with a live one..... <<shudder>> He wasn't just stupid, he's a twat!

Aimsmum Tue 19-Dec-06 17:06:00

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Tue 19-Dec-06 17:23:12

Message withdrawn

iota Tue 19-Dec-06 17:28:22

Aimsmum -botht the charger for my moble phone and the Gameboy Advance have a plastic "earth pin" such as he describes - it's really quite common.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »