Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Selling in January

(7 Posts)
aniceearlynight Tue 29-Dec-15 00:39:55

Like some posters on other ebay threads, I stopped selling in about mid-December to avoid items going missing in post/postal delays/spending half the morning queuing in the Post Office. Am now feeling very skint but wondering whether there's any point in listing items in early January? Is everyone all shopped out, what with present buying then the sales? Any opinions/experiences/advice would be gratefully received. I sell women's and children's clothes, mostly mid- to top end of the high street, and generally opt for about 50/50 auctions and BINs depending on how much I paid/hope to make from an item. I time auctions to end on a Sunday night but am not sure if this is still a good route to achieving better prices.

glammanana Tue 29-Dec-15 14:57:27

I'd certainly use up any free listing offers you may have left before the beginning of a new month and maybe list them on BIN for 30 days you may get someone biting at your items,most people will now not get paid until end of January after their Christmas salaries where paid earlier then normal so don't be disheartened,this time last year I did very well with ladies special Occasion clothes such as wedding/cruise etc with people buying for the future months ahead,childrens clothes may be less inviting as lots get new for xmas don't they.I find most of my sales come in mid-week about 9/10ish at night when nothing exciting on TV might be worth thinking about.Good Luck.x

19lottie82 Tue 29-Dec-15 15:01:22

I had hardly any sales 23/24/25 of December but things have picked up a bit in the last few days.

Previously, I've found that obviously January isn't going to be as busy as November / Decembet, but it's still worth selling stuff.

aniceearlynight Tue 29-Dec-15 18:39:25

Thanks for answering Glamma and Lottie. Well, I've had a 'free listings in January' email so I think I'll take your advice glammanana and list as many items as possible as BINs. I have quite a lot of Topshop/Urban Outfitters bits from my teenage daughter so will pop them on. I do sometimes find bank holidays good for BINS (think people are bored at home and trawling ebay) so maybe I'll have some luck next weekend. I did so well in 2015 and sold about 30% of my wardrobe so don't want to lose impetus in 2016!

JemimaMuddleDuck Thu 31-Dec-15 10:55:47

eBay always surprises me. Things I think won't get a lot of money for can end up being winners and vice versa.

People are thinking about diets, exercise, holidays and summer at the moment. I've also listed some evening shoes as people would be interested for cruises.

Mind you, I did buy some fantastic John Lewis Christmas decorations in May last year!

YeOldeTrout Thu 31-Dec-15 18:20:34

early January is a good time to sell, I will be listing now.
Late Jan to mid Feb is a good time to buy smile.

aniceearlynight Sun 03-Jan-16 19:16:09

Just a quick update - had a bit of a marathon listing session this morning (well, 8 items) and have already sold two BIN items - a jacket and a girl's top - so am feeling optimistic and inspired to list more. Might try some summer clothes next for people with winter sun hols booked for Jan/Feb. Good luck to everyone else planning on doing some selling in Jan. Perhaps people still have some Christmas money burning a hole in their pockets? Fingers crossed...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now