Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How long do buyers have to claim item not received?

(8 Posts)
louloubelle2 Mon 21-Dec-15 09:39:31

Hi, I've searched eBay help and google, but can't seem to find the answer. I don't have a problem with a buyer, but I keep all my proofs of postage and they are piling up, going back about six months!

I don't want to tempt fate by binning the old ones then have someone claim non receipt, so I wondered if there was a set time period this must happen in e.g. 60 days or something?

Tate15 Mon 21-Dec-15 11:18:41

Buyers have 45 days to make a claim BUT credit card chargebacks if their PayPal is funded by one can take a year so keep receipts for a minimum of 13 months.

louloubelle2 Mon 21-Dec-15 12:27:45

wow, that is longer than I thought! I was thinking 60 days was generous.

thanks smile

19lottie82 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:17:48

Proof of Postage won't get you anywhere if a buyer opens an INR recieved case. Unless you have proof of DELIVERY you will have to refund.

19lottie82 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:19:07

If you are sending tracked, why not just upload the details next to each item in ebay? Saves any arguments if the buyer says INR?

nauticant Mon 21-Dec-15 18:02:43

The time to make a claim is much longer if the buyer makes a claim in Paypal. You'll find this on the Paypal website:

You have 180 days from the date you made the payment to open a dispute.

Proof of posting is OK for items worth less than £20 sent within the UK because you can make a claim to that amount to Royal Mail.

19lottie82 Mon 21-Dec-15 22:00:12

Yes but be aware that when making a claim with Royal Mail you will need to prove what you PAID for the item in the first place (NOT what it sold for on eBay). If you can't all the will do is palm you off with a book of stamps, but you'll still have to refund the buyer who didn't receive their item.

nauticant Mon 21-Dec-15 22:21:08

Ah yes, I did know that but it had slipped to the back of my mind. Thanks for the reminder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now