Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Refund on hold by paypal?

(29 Posts)
Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 10:04:05

I am really annoyed and upset.
I bought a couple of things to try on and returned them. The shop that I bought them from has refunded the money to paypal. However, paypal have taken the money off my bank account 2 days ago. They have placed my refund on hold. This implies that not only are they sitting with the money that has been refunded by the company but from my account also. I know that the internet is full of complaints about paypal putting refunds on hold but this is hacking me off. I am now incurring overdraft fees while the sit on MY MONEY.
Does anyone have experience of how long this is going to take?
I dont have wads of cash just sitting in my account while they wait to give me my refund back. It has already been 2/3 days. I have checked and it is still pending.

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 10:06:40

Is there anything i can do to get my money back quicker? I have tried to get in touch but they have a stupid automated phone number with a fake person that was of NO use. When i emailed them twice, I have had NO response. I am getting increasingly anxious. I have a direct debit coming off my account on Monday and will be in the red again for another day.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 12-Dec-15 10:12:08

Why is the refund on hold?

It may simply be that the money from your account takes a few days to go through to your account, depending on how fast your bank are, and therefore until you've actually paid, PayPal can't refund you. Once the money from your account reaches your PayPal account, PayPal will immediately pay the amount outstanding to the shop and return the rest to you. Essentially you've borrowed PayPals money to pay until yours gets processed and they won't refund you until you've actually paid and your money goes full circle back to your bank account.

If the money from your account is already in your PayPal account, though, you need to find out why the refund is on hold. That isn't usual, unless your still in conversation with the shop?

Either way, there's usually livechat which is quite helpful, but it's not available all the time at the weekend.

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 10:43:50

I have no idea.
The money was taken from my bank account two days ago.
The money was refunded from the company two days ago.
So essentially they are sitting on my money and the companies money? It does say on my refund email that the money can take a few days to process by my method of paying.
It was a pay after delivery transaction.
They paid the company then it was due to be taken off my account if i decided to keep it two weeks later.
The company took longer to refund the money.
Paypal took the money from my bank account 2 days ago as if I was going to keep the item. They must have my money. The refund from the company was also given to them 2 days ago.
They put have put the refund to me on hold.
I will see if i can get on to the live chat.

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 10:45:25

Can you provide a link to live chat please? Or where will i find it?

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 12-Dec-15 10:48:19

I've got a refund that was paid on the 7th (payment had gone through ages before) and it states its pending until the 15th! I have a feeling they're just holding on. If they do that with lots of refunds imagine YHWH interest. Dodgy bastards. I'll ring today.

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 12-Dec-15 10:48:48

YHWH? The amount of interest.

celestialgin Sat 12-Dec-15 10:54:51

I've never had a problem with paypal refunds, but a tradesman once asked me to make a payment to his paypal account, I typed in the wrong email and the payment was shown as 'pending.'
Could the store have made an error with the refund?

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 11:07:17

currently waiting in a phone queue.

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 11:11:22

no. they have refunded me before. its there but on temp hold.

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 11:12:23

what does WHWH ? mean sorry

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 11:13:23

18 mins now waiting on phone

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 12-Dec-15 11:14:59

It was a predictive text error, I meant to type 'the amount of interest'.

19lottie82 Sat 12-Dec-15 11:25:21

Refunds can take a few days to go through, when being applied to a credit / debit card. Just like any refund if that method. They advise 3-5 working days. I'm not sure if this is the same as "being on hold" though?

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 12-Dec-15 11:29:54

Yes but mine went through on the 7th and states pending until 15th. It should have been done by now.

19lottie82 Sat 12-Dec-15 11:31:25

Ah just re read the original OP and the last line describes is as "pending". What does it actually say online OP?
If it is "pending" it should be with you shortly. And again, this is nothing out of the ordinary. The same procedure would be applied if you bought something by card on the high street then took it back for a refund. Any refund to a card isn't instant.

19lottie82 Sat 12-Dec-15 11:40:02

I'm a bit confused you say the seller refunded then PayPal "took the money off your bank account"?

summerwinterton Sat 12-Dec-15 12:00:07

the payment you made has not completed yet, so the refund is on hold until then. It is quite standard and there is nothing you can do to hurry it up.

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 12:20:47

Paypal took the money from my bank account when i bought it. The seller refunded via paypal as that is how I paid. The money is sitting on hold in my paypal account. I will have to transfer it to my bank when it is cleared.

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 12:23:25

This is what i dont get.
It takes a couple of days for the paypal transaction to be complete [ i.e. taken from your bank]. The seller has already refunded them. It may take a few days for that to clear. So technically, they have two lots. Yet they put it on hold for 5-7 days!

summerwinterton Sat 12-Dec-15 12:25:18

the money may show as taken from your bank but it doesn't clar immediately. And they have not been paid twice.

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 12:35:42

Yeh, yeh...in the land of paypal it takes 5 - 7 days. How convenient for them to have your money sitting their gaining them interest. Its the land of paypal after all. No other land is like it. Its like an island. You cant communicate with anyone or its hard and everything takes a ridiculous time to get there mmmm..

summerwinterton Sat 12-Dec-15 13:44:49

It isn't sitting there - the money has not cleared from you bank until 5-7 days after you pay. It is not instant. You do sound incredibly angry. Not sure why.

www.paypal-community.com/t5/Holds-reversals-reserves/Temporary-Hold-on-Refund/td-p/103470?profile.language=en-gb

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 13:50:31

Yes, i appreciate that is what they say....
Do you work for paypal?

Greengardenpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 13:50:49

Yeh, i am angry. It pisses me off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now