Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Item not delivered

(13 Posts)
PhoenixReisling Mon 07-Dec-15 12:58:54

I Bought a dress from a seller and it hasn't arrived. I contacted the seller after waiting a week and after I was told it was posted second class (as opposed to the first it was supposed to be sent); I waited a few more days, but nothing arrived.

I contacted the seller and asked for a refund and also opened a request with eBay. The seller sent me a copy of proof of postage and asked that I contact the post office to see if the parcel was with them, I did but was hmm. They of don't track first/second class post and also don't do searches.

I contacted the seller again and informed her of what I was told re: Mail and have asked for a refund (including the postage I paid). I have a feeling though that she will try and only refund what I paid for the dress. Can she do this?

19lottie82 Mon 07-Dec-15 14:12:32

No. Stop contacting the buyer directly. Open a not received case. Unless they can prove delivery, you'll get a full refund inc postage.

PhoenixReisling Mon 07-Dec-15 14:22:46

Thanks lottie

It's all resolved now as the seller gave me a full refund smile

AnonymousBird Thu 10-Dec-15 20:35:28

I have this. Item cost £70. Has not arrived, so have asked for tracking or proof of postage. Whose risk is this at if it still does not turn up, mine or seller if he can prove sent but never received? No idea if he sent with tracking number - waiting to hear back from him. Might just be a proof of postage in which case am I stuffed?

summerwinterton Thu 10-Dec-15 21:16:13

It is the seller's risk - proof of postage does not prove delivery. So as long as they don't have tracking proving you received it you will get your money back

nauticant Thu 10-Dec-15 22:37:14

I'm having my first item not received case in which an item was "delivered by leaving". Hermes delivered the item I sent by leaving it outside a house and the buyer is claiming they never received it. I'll be interested to see if ebay find in my favour on the basis of the "delivered - left in secure location" tracking status.

19lottie82 Fri 11-Dec-15 08:46:13

Chances are eBay will find in your favour or possibly give the buyer a non fault refund (where it doesn't come from your funds). But if the buyer is cooperative, push myhermes and they should pay up your compensation for the lost item if you keep on at them that the item was wrong and it wasn't delivered. Did you insure the item for the correct amount?

nauticant Fri 11-Dec-15 10:50:06

I suspect the buyer will operate in the mode of angry (which is understandable). The item isn't insured for the correct amount, it makes economic sense for me to self-insure rather than add the insurance cost for each delivery. Especially since my main concern is items vanishing after Hermes have declared a status of "Delivered".

I would be minded to refund the buyer but I would expect this to leave me with a defect in some way so I think I'll let the case run.

19lottie82 Fri 11-Dec-15 16:51:04

You won't get a defect if you win the case and the buyer won't be able to leave feedback. If you have proof of delivery you should win the case.

However, as we all know that Hermes are renowned for marking deliveries as "delivered" when they haven't been, it's up to you if you wish to compensate the buyer in some way. However there is also the chance that the buyer is trying it on.

These situations are very tricky.

nauticant Fri 11-Dec-15 18:05:38

Thanks for your helpful comments. You're right about it being tricky. Normally I'd think about refunding but in this case I can't help being skeptical because the buyer didn't contact me before opening the case and the graphic on the ebay website incorrectly shows that the item is still "in transit" when the underlying Hermes data has been showing "Delivered" for over a week. I do hope the case will be decided based on the correct underlying data and not by someone at ebay glancing at ebay's incorrect presentation of it.

Maiyakat Mon 14-Dec-15 20:16:26

I'm trying to get a refund for an item not received - however it is not listed when I try to open a case and doesn't come up when I search. I paid over 3 months ago (seller in China - said they would resend item when original did not arrive - still nothing!) Is there a time limit on refunds and have I missed the boat?

nauticant Mon 14-Dec-15 20:45:46

If you can't open a case with ebay you might want to try to open a case with Paypal (assuming you paid via Paypal). You should have lots of time to open a case with Paypal:

You have 180 days from the date you made the payment to open a dispute.

Maiyakat Mon 14-Dec-15 21:21:29

Yes I paid with Paypal - that's really helpful, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now